Fluval Cannister filtration systems versus Pwer Filters

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.

Do you have a Power Filter?

Poll ended at 09 Dec 2003, 01:06

Cannister Type
70%
Power Filter
30%

Total votes: 10

Beersnob
Location 1: Royal Oak, Michigan
Interests: Drinking Beer, Brewing Beer, Drinking Mead, Mazing Mead, hiking, Backpacking, fishing, camping, and of cource Catfish!

Fluval Cannister filtration systems versus Pwer Filters

Post by Beersnob »

All,

I'm considering getting rid of my Tetra Tec PowerFilter and going with a Cannister type like the Fluval.
:shock:
Can anyone tell me the weaknesses and strengths of the Fluval Cannister Filtration systems and the Power Filter types?

Thanks,

Scott
Beersnob

Sooo many Beers, So little time!

How many Catfish are in your Tank?
magnum4
Location 1: UK wirral
Interests: all things aquatic.

Post by magnum4 »

Fluval canister filters the new ones are easy to clean, have more volume of media, you can change the media to suit different needs, they have good turnover rates and can remove solid waste from the aquarium. very small chance they could leak/come loose.
Dale90g
Location 1: Erie, PA USA

Post by Dale90g »

I use both types, depends upon your needs. Powertec is quick and simple to clean, and you can change half the filter media, without stopping the filter. I use a PF300 on a 75 gallon tank and the plecos in there seemed to be more active as it really makes waves. I don't use the noisey bacteria tank that raises and lowers. And it gets really noisey as the water level goes down. I just removed the clear plastic piece to stop that action. Nice try by the manufactor though. I have 2 Fluvals, newer models and they are easy to clean, but you need to break them down when you clean them. I put the return deep into a 90 gallon, as it is a plant tank so not to disturb water surface (trying to keep CO2). Still could be adjusted to make more surface action, which I do use on a 45 pentagon tank that houses some african seeklids and synos. They can take more media type as mentioned by Magnum4. I'll continue to use both.
Dale Davison
xander
My cats species list: 21 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:0)
Location 1: MN USA

Post by xander »

It just seems that canistor filters are more versitle and usually more powerfull. I have a couple fluvals and just got a eheim. I prefer the eheim and want another. I also have an Emperor 280. It does have some versatility and seems very easy to clean. I just hate having things hang off the tank. I also don't like to have huge holes in the lid to allow for HOB filters.
spiny
Location 1: Oslo,Norway
Interests: Fish,cacti,orchids,botany,biology,being up in the mountains, out in the forest, or sailing the ocean, etc etc

Filter type

Post by spiny »

I have tried different kinds of filters, but the canisterfilters have a far larger filtervolum, and a far greater capasity of removing vaste, and of course the nitrification bacteria has far better working conditions/space. The inner filters/power filters claim to be biologically active as well, but tests show that they cannot compete with the outer filters. They should be fine for smaller aquaria, though.

Even better is those tank like self built filters, but that takes a lot of space! But in the future I will go for them.

In one of my tanks a Sacem filter has done its job since 1988, and retired this fall. Now I use different Eheims, basic models, and they are extremely silent, and does the job great! Good capacity, and lots of nice movement in the water. I use them even for smaller tanks. Even if the circulation might be a bit strong in the smaller tanks, it is no problem restricting the flow a little. You will still have huge filtercapacity.
Bjorn H S

"Oh, uh, this..the moon is in the wrong position!"
Ozzy Osbourne

Return to “Tank Talk”