Why you shouldn't eat alien catfish

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Re: Why you shouldn't eat alien catfish

Post by Shane »

I wish the author had compared concentrations of heavy metals in several frequently consumed fishes found in the river. It is no surprise that loricariids from a polluted river have high concentrations of heavy metals, but do they have higher levels than other frequently eaten fish in the same river? The conclusion is not to eat loricariids from the Ciliwung, but it may also be true that it is not safe to eat any fishes from the river.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Recently they banned sale of in Amazonas, partly due to concerns about mercury poisoning, and also because to catch them, fishermen kill river dolphins as bait.

It was stated that because they scavenge, have high mercury levels, but as Shane says, I hope this was based on actual comparative data, rather than just an assumption. Why would, say, a long-lived "top predator" like not have similar levels? Hardly reassuring.
Durlänger
Location 1: near Biel/Bienne
Location 2: helvetia

Post by Durlänger »

If you look at pics from the Ciliwung, it`s hard to believe fish can live in that dump :-O well upstream maybe.

Yes, instead of control goldwashing, were the mercury comes from, just forbid poor people, which cannot read, eating this or that fish, that will surely work :YMAPPLAUSE: ~X( :YMAPPLAUSE:

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”