Good news everybody!

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
catfishchaos
My cats species list: 35 (i:25, k:4)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Halifax
Location 2: Nova scotia, Canada
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

Good news everybody!

Post by catfishchaos »

sorry for the Futurama reference but it had to be done :d

Any way I finally got my plecos (first time in a long time) and I'm very excited! I purchased three plecos (ended up with a fourth freebie of the same species because the breeder was awesome) L306 and they have all settled in nicely. I wasn't sure how effective they would be at eating algae but Im here to tell you they are super effective, I left for a week a few days after I got them and expected to come back to the usual can't see in the tank, algae covered and dying leaves of my Anubias, a centimetre thick carpet of algae on the driftwood and a Co2 diffuser so full of green gunk I would need to replace it. I come home to see healthy Anubias leaves (first time since i got them) algae free, a fully functional diffuser, glass clarity that made me question if the glass was there (not to mention no more algae in the spots I can't reach), half a centimetre of algae on half the drift wood while the other half was totally clear! Upon returning home to such a pleasant low maintenance surprise I rewarded them with some well deserved Zucchini that they all enjoyed (no skin let on it) and the rare chance to see all four of them at once! it was a big deal because the first week they were in there I honeslty doubted I put them in the tank :-p

I'll post pics (pleco permitting) as soon as I can!

Thanks everyone on here for all the help and advice you gave me while I looked for my perfect L number, I can't thank everybody enough!
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...
catfishchaos
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

Re: Good news everybody!

Post by catfishchaos »

As promised! The tank is post water change BTW the water is normally not grey like that :-p
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

They look like the common to me, but as long as you like them and didn't pay silly prices, I guess there's no problem.
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 238
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

They don't look to be .
Contribute to Planet Catfish!

Use this Amazon.com link to benefit Planet Catfish!!
mattlamm
Location 2: South Africa

Post by mattlamm »

Yep, definitely clown pleco and not L306.
leisure_man
Location 2: Planet Earth

Post by leisure_man »

So the L306 turned into the run of the mill clown pleco. Hope you didn't pay L306 price for them.
catfishchaos

Post by catfishchaos »

20 dollars a piece... I thought they looked a little different from the L306.....

Bad news everybody :(
Narwhal72
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 100 (i:0, k:3)
My BLogs: 29 (i:0, p:400)
Spotted: 32
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Milwaukee, WI
Interests: Whiptails, hoplo cats, corys, plecos

Post by Narwhal72 »

Yep. Afraid you overpaid quite a bit for them. They go for about $4.99-$6.99 here in the U.S.
leisure_man

Post by leisure_man »

You should dispute the purchase and ask for refund.
catfishchaos

Post by catfishchaos »

I told him to keep the 40 dollars (value of fish with shipping) and have asked for a refund of 160 dollars (gave money for a few other fish but I don't want anymore surprises)

I don't know whats worse that he sold me fish with the wrong ID or that I couldn't tell there weren't L306 after staying at the picture in the cat-elog for a week...

sigh, I'm as bad as he is...
JamesFish
I've donated: $23.00!
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Kent
Interests: Fish, IT

Post by JamesFish »

Well least they appear to be healthy and happy that is at least some good news.
catfishchaos

Post by catfishchaos »

JamesFish wrote:Well least they appear to be healthy and happy that is at least some good news.
No matter what happens I don't take healthy fish for granted :) there all doing fine and appear to in good health. Now I just need to see them..
catfishchaos

Post by catfishchaos »

Well I sent the message to the breeder 2 days ago, so I'm pretty sure that he is just ignoring me and keeping my money (which sucks because I need it to get to get some L134s) guess Im going to be down 400 and some after all of this, but only half of its going to be worth it. Is there a way I can leave feedback or negative review for the seller (they are on this forum) and warn other people NOT to purchase from them?

Lucky I saved up or I would have to take a pass on the L134s, Unlucky that I'm going to be broke after all this... Oh well thats why I have a job.
leisure_man

Post by leisure_man »

Oh yea, we all want to know who the 'dirtbag' is. Most likely is someone who resell fish rather than a real breeder. Breeders usually take the time and effort to learn about the fish they are breeding. Resellers usually just want to make a quick buck and always looking for a sucker.
catfishchaos

Post by catfishchaos »

*sigh
Last edited by catfishchaos on 18 Aug 2014, 21:25, edited 2 times in total.
NCE12940
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 7 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:5)
Location 1: Midland
Location 2: Texas

Post by NCE12940 »

Well, that really sucks! I'm sorry this happened to you, and that there's no solution x(
JamesFish
I've donated: $23.00!
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Kent
Interests: Fish, IT

Post by JamesFish »

I'm sorry your having trouble. Contact the provider of the payment method you used in event of dispute they may be able to help.
catfishchaos

Post by catfishchaos »

Payment method was EMT :(

I really fell for this one guys...
Juiceyfish
My cats species list: 24 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Charlottetown

Post by Juiceyfish »

Ok we have an issue and I'm not at all shy to respond to this thread .... I breed a few plecos as well as sell some ..and this young James (catfish chaos ) has talked to me about the l306 and how you guys all are denying a l306.... Well I'm not sure how familular all of you are with Curtis Jerrom from Calgary and I spoke with him on this case and he says they are and I have had an issue already on this site with Carl deller over this l306 ..... Anyways here is some honesty to cover some of this young fellas lies .... And I have pics to prove .... He paid me 200 for 3 l306 I paid almost 15 each off my supplier so I have him the better end of the deal because I got some cories shipped from my supplier and they all died in shipping ... Didn't pay for fish but still paid his shipping( did not charge James for this ) also I sent him the fish with a extra cause I felt bad ... I was going to pay his little bit of shipping to get more cories when they came in at again my cost .. Now after this thread he's asking for all 200 dollars back and saying I'm not responding to him when I have responded in Canada pleco and by text message ... He is the one who did not respond to my email and went ahead and wrote this negative post on me..... I told him I would give 120 back cause I charged 20 for 3x L306 have home 4 and he paid 20 for shipping and I paid the box and all packing supplies which totalled 80 dollars for him .... And I told him I was Not sure what to do yet about the fish .... And I got no response and this is what I see....... Here are some pics of our recent convo .... From start to finish since I sent the fish ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
racoll

Post by racoll »

Looks like you were both duped with these fish. I'd like to make a pun about 'suckers being born every minute', but I'll resist.
catfishchaos

Post by catfishchaos »

Seller contacted me and were sorting through things right know...

Both parties would appear to have been having extensive comunication issues.

Ultimately I'm the Dirtbag for assuming. My apologies.
mattlamm

Post by mattlamm »

I think you are justified in being upset for not receiving what you ordered. It is not the buyer's responsibility to ensure the seller buys from reputable suppliers. If @JuiceyFish got supplied duds that is his/her problem. If you ordered a car and when you went to pick it up it was the wrong model, the dealer couldn't expect you to be happy just because their supplier says the car is what you ordered, when in fact it us not.

I'm tired of sellers not knowing about the fish they are selling. If you are in the business of selling live animals you should know how to identify what you are selling as well as supply information on caring for that animal should your buyer require this info. Yes there are cases where 2 species are very hard to tell apart, in which case misidentification could perhaps be excused, but in the case of a common clown pleco and an L306 they are quite easy to tell apart.
Narwhal72
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 100 (i:0, k:3)
My BLogs: 29 (i:0, p:400)
Spotted: 32
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Milwaukee, WI
Interests: Whiptails, hoplo cats, corys, plecos

Post by Narwhal72 »

This could be all be chalked up to some misidentification and a misunderstanding except...

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... 13&t=40317

Seems to me you (JuiceyFish) passed off the fish that were identified to you as Panaqolous maccus back in April, as L306 to someone else. You were fully aware of the rarity of L306 and the identification of the fish you had.

That's just dirty and it now appears that there is sufficient evidence for the end buyer to pursue a criminal complaint against you for fraud. Since the fish were shipped through the mail that's a federal offense (mail fraud). I would suggest you find a good defense attorney.

Andy
racoll

Post by racoll »

Narwhal72 wrote: Seems to me you (JuiceyFish) passed off the fish that were identified to you as Panaqolous maccus back in April, as L306 to someone else. You were fully aware of the rarity of L306 and the identification of the fish you had.

That's just dirty and it now appears that there is sufficient evidence for the end buyer to pursue a criminal complaint against you for fraud. Since the fish were shipped through the mail that's a federal offense (mail fraud). I would suggest you find a good defense attorney.
Ouch! No excuses now.

I remember that thread, just forgot that it was the same people involved 8-|
Juiceyfish

Post by Juiceyfish »

Narwhal72 wrote:This could be all be chalked up to some misidentification and a misunderstanding except...

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... 13&t=40317

Seems to me you (JuiceyFish) passed off the fish that were identified to you as Panaqolous maccus back in April, as L306 to someone else. You were fully aware of the rarity of L306 and the identification of the fish you had.

Andy
Ok well let me get this straight .... The fish that are in a earlier post with green gravel they are all gone also if you read the whole thread nobody completely confirmed what the pleco was ... Since then I got new ones and as for them being that small and young and they have different markings on the head and being more redish I can only go by what pple tell me and what I see from pics and what my supplier says as well.... As for sending in the mail!??this my friend is def illegal but literally Impossible because they would feel the water in the package im sure please Get your facts in order a cause these were not sent by mail at all they were sent by a delivery service just to get that part straight

Juiceyfish

Post by Juiceyfish »

I'm not looking to scam or sell people bullshit also not all people are educated the same as everyone else on this site for if of fish as you can see most post are about I'ds and mislabeled fish but I certainly don't see chaos on them threads! I think that may be the reason this form might have been created to help educate people with their plecos ?!? I'm not looking to start a war over a damn fish.... I will resign from this form if this is what floats all your boats ! Thanks

catfishchaos

Post by catfishchaos »

Juiceyfish wrote:I'm not looking to scam or sell people bullshit also not all people are educated the same as everyone else on this site for if of fish as you can see most post are about I'ds and mislabeled fish but I certainly don't see chaos on them threads! I think that may be the reason this form might have been created to help educate people with their plecos ?!? I'm not looking to start a war over a damn fish.... I will resign from this form if this is what floats all your boats ! Thanks

Nobody is asking you to resign.
mattlamm

Post by mattlamm »

What people do expect is that sellers actually know how to ID the fish they are selling. Especially when the same seller has "misidentified" the exact same fish in the past. Surely you can see how that looks to be a scam whether it is or isn't?

Also, now that you have once again been informed that it is not a L306, why should the buyer pay L306 price for a common, cheaper fish? If you have a dodgy supplier that should be your problem, not his/hers.
bicske
Location 2: Edmonton, Canada

Post by bicske »

Hello Everyone,

First post, though I've been reading the posts for a while. I think we often forget that even with reputable LFS catfish are grossly misidentified. I've picked up rare catfish for a fraction of their going price because they were misidentified at the LFS. Same can happen the other way around too as is the case here. Many stores will not take a fish back because the buyer didn't do their due diligence prior to purchasing a fish and only realized when they got home that their fish is not what they thought it was. Most of the time we're lucky if they take a fish back that died on the way home. With online transactions it is as much the buyer's fault not asking for pictures and confirming themselves as it is the seller's...blame goes both way folks let's not forget that.
mattlamm

Post by mattlamm »

The difference when it is the otherway around, and you get an expensive fish for cheap, is that no one has parted with extra cash. Sure, the seller could have sold it for more, but he didn't buy it for a large sum from his supplier and then sell it at a loss. No one has parted with extra money being made to believe the fish is one thing when it is infact another.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”