history/origins of the super red bristlenose?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
todda
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 4 (i:8, p:144)
Location 2: IOWA

history/origins of the super red bristlenose?

Post by todda »

Does anyone know the history/origin of super reds bristlenose? Are they originally from red calico's? Or are they a color morph from a brown? Does anyone know for sure. I've tried looking on the internet & all I find are for sale ads for them.
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Re: history/origins of the super red bristlenose?

Post by TwoTankAmin »

http://www.bristlenoseworld.com/t3213-w ... -ancistrus

I cannot say how accurate the info might be.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

Pretty sure that information is less than accurate. That's an entirely different story than the one I was told and honestly I doubt that one was accurate also ;).

Barbie
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Barbie- is their any doubt in your mind that this is anything more than another man made "strain" created by selective line breeding?

It seems to me there is a series of such fish starting with the brown longfins and that this is just one more such fish. The fish initially start out selling for a lot more than they are really worth, then as they gain in popularity and others start spawning them, the price drops. And then its time for the next variant to come along.

I stopped buying into this stuff after the long fin albinos became the "it" fish. What I find amusing about it all is if one has paid attention in the USA to the AquaBid sales in the pleco section, the truly interesting and more unusual plecos listed there draw almost no bids. Much of the action is in the variants of the engineered bn.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Borbi
Expert
My articles: 4
My images: 64
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 20
Location 1: Easton, PA
Location 2: United States

Post by Borbi »

Hi,

the Super-Red bristlenose was first line-bred from the calico form of the common bristlenose by a German hobbyist.
As is the way with the common bristlenose, they are pretty fertile and as soon as the pure strain got introduced into the market, it spred pretty quickly. A long-finned variety got line-bred from them relatively soon after that (which is no surprise, as the genetics are pretty predictable).
There is some variation in the quality of the strain, a good strain produces 100% all-red offspring, less-than-optimal breeding stock (even if they are all-red) can produce a fair amount of offspring with some residual black markings.

Cheers,
Sandor
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don´t know.
It´s what we know for sure that just ain´t so."
--Mark Twain

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”