Ich recommendations

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Filigree
Location 2: Kentwood, MI

Ich recommendations

Post by Filigree »

Hello. Against my better judgement I decided to buy two corys from Meijer because I passed them by every time I went there and they looked neat. The tank had ich so I put them into quarantine. One of them died within 24 hours, perhaps from stress and shock. :( While they did not show ich spots I know they were in an infested tank. I planned to treat them with high heat, 86 F, which seems to be the limit c. ambiacus and for ich. I considered salt, but I am very nervous about it. I don't want to lose this one too, even though I know it's a possibility. I was wondering what peoples suggestions would be to treat this ich as safely as possible. I've read you can introduce salt "slowly". There are also chemical treatments, but corys seem sensitive to all of them. I will feel horrible if this one dies too, so I'm hoping it will pull through. Someone suggested quick cure by API. I have made a hospital tank just for it, a plastic tub with about 2 gals of water. An adjustable heater, set to 84 F and an airstone. My water is on the hard side and 7.5 PH. I'm going to feed him for now and wait on any treatments. I'm waiting to see if the dots appear. Suggestions are welcome (*)
CoryfanAad
My images: 2
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Holland

Ich recommendations

Post by CoryfanAad »

Not being offensive, but why did you fish of which you knew had Ich?
To my knowledge Corys are sensitive to salt and some to high temps as well. I'd go the med-way and treat as mentioned in the manual (often half dosing). If there still aren't any spots I'd wait to be sure it has got Ich.
In the mean time I'd do some waterchanges that won't do any bad in this stage.
Filigree
Location 2: Kentwood, MI

Re: Ich recommendations

Post by Filigree »

I know it doesn't make sense, but I kind of got attached to them. They've been in there for about 4-5 months and I decided to buy them, I went in knowing full well they would probably have some disease (and possibly die when I got them), at least ich. I don't think I'll do this again. What medications do you recommend for ich for corys? But yeah, I'm waiting to see if there are any dots forming on him. He will be in quarantine for a long time just to be sure it's safe to have him with other fish.
magdalo
My cats species list: 7 (i:6, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
Location 1: Amadeo, Cavite
Location 2: Philippines

Post by magdalo »

Had great success with Quick Cure. But timing is key. Best when applied on the first sight of spots. Pretty useless when spots are pretty much all over the fish and lethargic behaviour is observed.
jodilynn
I've donated: $84.00!
My cats species list: 85 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 8 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 7
Spotted: 41
Location 2: BeeEffaEe, MI

Post by jodilynn »

I totally understand, the Meijer here has 5 Pictus cats just covered whiskers to tail in ich, and I just feel so bad for them. I was really tempted to ask the manager if I could get a discount and then take them home and try to save them (in my quarantine tank of course). My poor kids were just distraught, they absolutely begged me to try to rescue them. And I truly felt terrible for the poor things.

But I have been having a run of bad luck here for a while with my own fish, so I didn't do it. But trust me I feel terrible about it...
jodilynn
I've donated: $84.00!
My cats species list: 85 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 8 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 7
Spotted: 41
Location 2: BeeEffaEe, MI

Post by jodilynn »

Oh, back to what to do, heat and a medicinal (minimum) dosage of salt. If that doesn't work, then Rid-Ich Plus is what the LFS always recommends.

And I think you deserve to be commended for trying to save these guys!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”