Corydoras Aeneus in unheated tank

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Corycory
Location 2: Ireland

Corydoras Aeneus in unheated tank

Post by Corycory »

Hey guys,

I was wondering how would corydoras aeneus do in an unheated tank? Temperature of the water doesn't drop below 20C all year, it's way higher in the summer. I have another unheated tank. The other occupants are shrimp that do well in low temps and platies that as far as I know do well too.
MChambers
My cats species list: 26 (i:12, k:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:0, p:76)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: Washington DC

Re: Corydoras Aeneus in unheated tank

Post by MChambers »

I think they'd be fine. Most of my corydoras are in tanks in my basement and I don't turn the heaters on until January or February, when the temperatures drop below 20C or so.
VelcroWY
Location 1: Cheyenne
Location 2: Wyoming

Post by VelcroWY »

Some corys don't do well in cooler temps, but I've always found aeneus to be rather tolerant of low temps (and not as tolerant at higher temps). I do prefer to keep them around 23-25 - below 23, I'd slow down on the feeding for sure. One man's opinion.
CoryfanAad
My images: 2
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Holland

Post by CoryfanAad »

All my Aeneus are in unheated tanks.
Corycory
Location 2: Ireland

Post by Corycory »

Thanks guys. I changed plans so for now the majority will still be in a heated tank.
But I have a group of 6 in a small 15G tank and I'll try it unheated. I can always switch the heater back on but between lights, filters and room temperature, the tank temperature doesn't really drop. So we'll see how they get on. I think they should be fine. Right now it's still very warm so its early to tell.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”