Dwarf Albino Bristlenose Plecos

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
BrianNY
Location 1: Long Island, NY
Interests: Discus and Catfish

Dwarf Albino Bristlenose Plecos

Post by BrianNY »

Hi All. I just received my supposed pair of the above plecos. They are all alone in a 29 gal bare bottom tank. Temp 80, PH 7.2, KH 2. Filter 1 HV sponge. 1 ceramic cave (sold for reptiles).

I'm interested in getting this pair to spawn. Any info for best techniques and proper care would be appreciated. Thanks.
Brian
pleco_breeder
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona
Interests: breeding plecos and corys

Post by pleco_breeder »

Hello Brian,

You said "supposed" pair. Are they not mature yet? Your water should be fine. You did not give the dimensions of the cave, but may have to change it if it's not sized properly.

Feed them heavily with assorted vegetables, and a couple of feedings of live foods a week. That should bring the female into condition fairly quickly. Othere than that, these fish are rather easy to spawn as long as you keep the tank clean.

Larry Vires
Impossible only means that somebody hasn't done it correctly yet.
ClayT101
Location 1: Baton Rouge, LA
Location 2: USA
Interests: Plecos, Pro Wrestling, Football (Pro & College)

Post by ClayT101 »

I am thinking of doing the same thing. At what size are they mature? Also, how long does it take for the fry to reach an inch or two in length?
It's True! It's True!

Southeast Louisiana Aquarium Society: http://www.selas.us
pleco_breeder

Post by pleco_breeder »

Hello,

They are mature at around 3 inches, but can be larger before reaching maturity if they are taken exceptional care of. I have had males which were nearly 5 inches before spawning the first time, but that would be considered the exception to the rule. Most normally, age is a better indicator. Anywhere from 10 to 18 months they should be sitting on their first spawn.

The fry reach an inch long at about 6 weeks. By the time they are 3 months old, they can easily reach the 2 inch mark. However, it has to be realized that there will be some variation on these times. Some of the fish will grow faster, and some slower, in the same brood. This is one of the drawbacks of mass produced fish. When selecting future breeders, try to select for the faster growing fish and you will know that the genetics for this trait are available in your lines.

Larry Vires
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

I've had albino ancistrus spawn at a little less than 3 inches TL. They were in a growout tank with some Pseudotropheus that was stacked full of lace rock, with VERY hard water, and a large powerhead on a sponge prefilter, with the venturi wide open. I wanted to grow them out in optimal time, so I was doing water changes on the tank every other day. The pseudotropheus grew like mad, and when it came time to tear the tank apart and move the mbuna, I found 3 fry. I'd have sworn the ancistrus were too small to spawn, but obviously they didn't think so. Since then, I've found that just the addition of a powerhead with the venturi wide open can be enough to trigger spawning in a few weeks, as long as the water parameters are good and the fish are well fed.

I've noticed when they get close to being ready to spawn, the male will hang onto the mouth of his cave with his lips, and fan his fins, like he's taking care of eggs to attract the females. They also seem to "flush" a bit, like there is an increased blood supply over their backs, and especially just in front of their dorsal fin. The albinos are actually easy to ascertain condition in the females. You can visibly watch her abdomen turn gold as she fills up with eggs, until it will look like her internal organs are all being pushed up towards her head. My current female spawns every 3 weeks or so like clockwork, but my first one would take 4-5 weeks to regain condition. I have no idea what the difference is, as their diet is varied and the water change schedule is basically the same. This one just seems to be a better producer.

Hope any of that helps,

Barbie
aurea23
Location 1: Melbourne,Australia

bristlenose spawning

Post by aurea23 »

I have the size appears to be more important than age to a point.

I managed to "power" grow a group of 6 bristlenose i believe to be no more than 8 months old from birth possibly as low as 6 months which spawned. The dominant male is smaller than the sub dominant male. the dominant is now only about 10 - 12 months of age and has already had 4 spawnings... He seems to breed every 3 - 5 weeks based on timeline.

they can breed as small as 8 cms (measured at time of spawning)

They will recover from spawning quicker if they are by themselves (ie no other fish) and fed lots of food. Keep the water well and plent of water changes around

Regards
Michael
aurea@optushome.com.au
BrianNY

Post by BrianNY »

Thanks so much for the replies everyone :) . Larry, I said suppose pair because I bought them from a breeder in Florida and I'm trusting him to have given me a pair.

One fish is about 3", the other slightly smaller. I've got a lot more questions (LOL)

How do you sex them?

I'm feeding veggie wafers now. Live foods? I feed my discus black worms, will that suffice or is there a better alternative?

Power head? Does that mean they prefer fast maoving water?

Thanks again for your help
Brian
pleco_breeder

Post by pleco_breeder »

Hello Brian,

The males have bristles around the base of their heads and a row onto the tope of their nose. The females usually, not always, have a couple of very thin bristles. They are hardly visible on the female.

I think the bristles on the female may be a recessive trait. I used to have an excessively large female that had bristles reminescent of those found on white seam bristle nose. However, all her fry, as well as the other females in the tank, failed to produce any female fry which had the same trait. That gives 2 genetic possibillities. Either it is a recessive trait, and the male was dominant for the gene which prevented the phenotype. Or it is sex-linked and would require both sexes to pass the gene on the female sex chromosome in order to be apparent. Either way, that's a subject for another conversation.

Larry Vires
BrianNY

Post by BrianNY »

The cave is roughly an 9 inch semi circle with a 2 to 3 inch opening. It tapers from high (maybe 4 inches), to low, front to back. If this isn't adaquate please let me know what is?

Also, I'd like to know more about feeding. What kind of live food, and veggies?

Thanks Again

Brian

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”