Bullheads eat snails?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from other parts of the world (North America, Europe and Australia). If you don't know where your catfish is from, post a query in the identification category.
xander
My cats species list: 21 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:0)
Location 1: MN USA

Bullheads eat snails?

Post by xander »

I was thinking of getting an apple snail or pond snal of some sort to take obn the algea in my native tank. I am wondering if my bullhead will be bullheaded enough to try and swallow a snail. I am not worried about littel ones. A quarter sized snail or bigger would be sought. Is this a safe bet or will my bullhead get a terrible stomach ache.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

While snails are part of a bullhead's natural diet, this really depends on the size of the fish.
michelle56
Location 1: Oklahoma
Interests: Loricariiadae because it has Plecostomus, Blue-Eyed Panaque, Twiggies, Ottos,Whiptails,Pretty Peckoltias

Post by michelle56 »

my thoughts exactly.
I've tried to kill the pain,but only brought more(so much more) I lay dying, and I'm pouring crimson regret and betrayal I'm dying,praying,bleeding,and screaming...Am I too lost to be saved? Am I too lost? My God my Tourniquet return to Salvation, My God my Tourniquet return to me Salvation.
xander

Post by xander »

well hes about 6.5 inches. And can gorge on until his belly is the size of a golf ball. So how big of a snail would I need to get? Or shuld I just get some small cheap ones and let him eat them.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

At that size, you could risk getting the biggest apple snail you could lay your hands on. It's very likely too big for the bullhead to eat.
xander

wow

Post by xander »

I just got 3 of the largest snails I could find at my LFS. He has already devoured one. I think it was because it was partionlly open. It didn't pull back when I pulled it open so I assumed it to be dead. It didn't take him too long to pull the meat from the shell but he had a hell of a time getting the meat off of the door. There must still be some meat in the shell because the bullhead and sunfish won't leave it alone. They keep picking at it. This is the first time I ever saw my bullhead run from my sunsfish. Its usually the other way around. When he was trying to get the meat off the door he would spit it out and suck it back up. The sunfish would go right at my bullheads mouth and tear pieces away. Amazing! There are still two more left. Another apple snail about the same size and a large ram. If they get caught with there trap open I'm sure they are toast. I don't think its warm enough in there for them to move quick enough and close up. Its around 68 right now. I guess we'll see if they last. I suspected as much. Good thing they were only $4.

Return to “Other Catfishes”