Possible Panaque Mature Pair

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
plec0
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Macon,Georgia

Possible Panaque Mature Pair

Post by plec0 »

Its been a long dream of mine to try my hand at a species to breed if i cqme across a mature enough size and possible wild pair. ...Given the pics below give the assumption of a mature.. any suggestions on minimal tank size in US.Gallons..I was thinking of minimum 125 gallon course driftwood and bottom bare tank or sand substrate.. Look fordward to suggestions and any experienced Panaque keepers to share their thoughts. THANKS..I only intend Panaque spec. Only with few community schooling fish ..Rummy Nose tetras. etc..
Attachments
17 inch Royal
17 inch Royal
12 inch broken line L-191
12 inch broken line L-191
plec0

Re: Possible Panaque Mature Pair

Post by plec0 »

Seriously?..all responses have been spam bots.. this site has gone downhill...
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:38)
My aquaria list: 40 (i:17)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2674)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

plec0 wrote:Its been a long dream of mine to try my hand at a species to breed if i cqme across a mature enough size and possible wild pair. ...Given the pics below give the assumption of a mature.. any suggestions on minimal tank size in US.Gallons..I was thinking of minimum 125 gallon course driftwood and bottom bare tank or sand substrate.. Look fordward to suggestions and any experienced Panaque keepers to share their thoughts. THANKS..I only intend Panaque spec. Only with few community schooling fish ..Rummy Nose tetras. etc..
Hi plec0,

Did you see this month's Catfish of the Month (CotM) article on L191? http://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/cotm.php

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
CharlieM9
My cats species list: 72 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 15 (i:3, p:724)
Location 2: USA

Post by CharlieM9 »

plec0 wrote:Seriously?..all responses have been spam bots.. this site has gone downhill...
Seems as though someone is too impatient to have to wait more than one day for a reply while Jools and the other admins were hard at work solving the problem. A shame people would rather attempt to bash such a useful and helpful site just because it's not a fast enough response for their liking.
catfishchaos
My cats species list: 35 (i:25, k:4)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Halifax
Location 2: Nova scotia, Canada
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

Post by catfishchaos »

I think its Ok to be upset about the spam outbreak and its always frustrating when people don't reply to your post however I feel like someone with 100+ post on this site should know that this is not a regular occurrence.
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:38)
My aquaria list: 40 (i:17)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2674)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

catfishchaos wrote:however I feel like someone with 100+ post on this site should know that this is not a regular occurrence.
My thoughts also. But perhaps, given that several real people seemed to encounter a problem with double posting, this bot made life miserable for them just because they chose to post during the throws of the attack (I'm having trouble imagining HOW the spammers could have caused people to double post at a more-than-usual rate, but obviously it happened). So on our part (okay, speaking for myself, "on MY part"), it's probably better not to assume the worst motivation for the OP.
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
plec0

Post by plec0 »

Sorry charlie ive been a member here a longtime. Ive been away for a year or so and not posted any.Gnereally back when I frquented the forum a member or guest made any insulting remarks or cauxed trouble they got dealt with quickly.I was not trying to bash this great site,just atating my frustration aboutthis spam bot spamming my topic plus rverytime i try to post i get an error and only to find out i made a double post in the process...now back to the topic not my opinion of the site and charlie my topic was asking about the above pics not what your thoughts are about me and this site, so please if u dont have any useful information regarding this topic please by all means and Im asking nicely ..DO NOT POST HERE. Good day to you.
CharlieM9
My cats species list: 72 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 15 (i:3, p:724)

Post by CharlieM9 »

plec0 wrote:Sorry charlie ive been a member here a longtime. Ive been away for a year or so and not posted any.Gnereally back when I frquented the forum a member or guest made any insulting remarks or cauxed trouble they got dealt with quickly.I was not trying to bash this great site,just atating my frustration aboutthis spam bot spamming my topic plus rverytime i try to post i get an error and only to find out i made a double post in the process...now back to the topic not my opinion of the site and charlie my topic was asking about the above pics not what your thoughts are about me and this site, so please if u dont have any useful information regarding this topic please by all means and Im asking nicely ..DO NOT POST HERE. Good day to you.
Plec0 I can understand the frustration as even for me it was almost impossible to even try to look for any new topics or responses that were by the bot issue.

Anyhow, putting all of it aside, a good clear side view of them both is useful for attempting to sex large panaque from my understanding. Since these beasts are so heavily armored I also think they are some of the most difficult to sex. Hope we can help!

Edit; looking at the pic closer, has the second fish been recently imported?
matthewfaulkner
I've donated: $61.00!
My images: 42
My cats species list: 14 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Spotted: 26
Location 1: Wales
Location 2: UK
Interests: Panaque

Post by matthewfaulkner »

Are those fish in the photos above the pair you intend to breed?

I ask because they're two different species. The first photo is looks like a Panaque cf. armbrusteri from the Araguaia-Tocantins basin (Brazil) and the second looks like a Panaque cf. nigrolineatus 'L330' from the Orinoco basin (Venezuela/Colombia).
Matthew
plec0

Post by plec0 »

The photos are from 2 panaque i have a great opportunity to buy for a very decent chekap price from very reputable importers/sellers..The origin and Sp variant I have no idea..
Narwhal72
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 100 (i:0, k:3)
My BLogs: 29 (i:0, p:400)
Spotted: 32
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Milwaukee, WI
Interests: Whiptails, hoplo cats, corys, plecos

Post by Narwhal72 »

If your intention is to try and breed them then I would probably pass as they do appear to be two different species.

Also I would suggest a tank with a wider footprint. A 180 would be better than a 125 but a 120 would do in a pinch.
plec0

Post by plec0 »

Thanks my info was a bit off on my species and pair finding.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA

Post by Barbie »

I agree, I would think they are not the same species, no matter how attractive.

As to the site criticism, I know that I personally was far more concerned with attempting to contain the complete barrage of spam than having a chance to read and respond to forum posts.

Barbie
plec0

Post by plec0 »

Hey barbie,thanks again for the support and opinions, I decided 2 pass and I trust the members expertise in the field rather than liking a few photos of giant panaque.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”