Not a catfish but interesting

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
NCE12940
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 7 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:5)
Location 1: Midland
Location 2: Texas

Not a catfish but interesting

Post by NCE12940 »

Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Re: Not a catfish but interesting

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I thoroughly enjoyed reading the piece. Thank you for posting. I needed to look up a dozen or two of words though because of my vocabulary ineptitude :) ...
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

Now you made me look up ineptitude. Are you certain you used it correctly? My dictionary translated it as a synonim for absurdity. languages....
cats have whiskers
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Bas Pels wrote:Now you made me look up ineptitude. Are you certain you used it correctly? My dictionary translated it as a synonim for absurdity. languages....
Bas Pels, in English, "ineptitude" is translated as "lack of ability," "lack of skill," or "incompetent."

By the way, does anyone see the convergent evolution in the body morphology of the razorback sucker and the humpback salmon? In hydrology, there's a phrase, "water finds its own level." This can be applied to natural selection forces, repetitively leading species to adapt to similar environmental challenges by developing parallel solutions - organisms are going to do whatever is easiest and available (as adaptive options) to solve problems, and often times the same solutions arise because they are the easiest and what's available.

Cheers, Eric

Last edited by bekateen on 10 Jan 2017, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Bas, absurdity would work too, perhaps in a broken English way but still carrying a related meaning :)

Thanks Eric :) BTW when I was reading the article I caught myself thinking this sounds like something Bekateen would write up :)

Sorry, can't say anything intelligible on the convergent evolution and hydrodynamics.

(Trust you got my very late PM reply)
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Viktor Jarikov wrote:BTW when I was reading the article I caught myself thinking this sounds like something Bekateen would write up :)
:ymblushing: Viktor, I'm flattered. If only I was so eloquent. I suspect the only true writing skill that author and I share are verbosity. =))
Ben Goldfarb (the article author) wrote:To find out, I hiked down to the sandy floor of the Grand Canyon one diabolically hot morning this past June. A mile below the rim, I rendezvoused with a blue rubber raft as long as a minke whale, stocked with mesh seine nets, sonar-detecting headsets, and bottles of chemical preservatives. A spiderweb of straps cinched a heap of dry-bags tight to the frame, rigging that would soon be tested by monstrous rapids. I clambered aboard and settled atop a metal crate, inadvertently sitting on eight days’ worth of granola bars and beef jerky. “You may not wanna cover that snack box,” the pilot, Carolyn Alvord, called as she motored us into the current. “That wouldn’t be a popular move.” The precious snacks would fortify Alvord and five fish biologists as they scoured more than 200 miles of rapids, eddies, and backwaters in search of larval razorback suckers...

The days blended together, an infinite loop of cold water and searing sun and purple shadows. Our little crew... and Alvord, our fearless pilot manning the tiller—settled into a routine. We seined all day, gradually filling our canisters with bagged larvae. In the evenings, we sank a semi-circle of folding chairs into the sand and watched bats swoop over the river. We slept on cots beneath a moon luminous enough to read by, and awoke to the pink blush of each new day.

Then it was back on the river, our indomitable raft bucking through the canyon’s famous rapids—the plummet of Horns, the stacked waves of Hermit, the frothy churn of Crystal—en route to our next seining site. Bighorn sheep picked their way along the slopes, and peregrine falcons plunged down cliff faces in pursuit of songbirds. I rode up front, next to the tomato-red poop box (dubbed the “groover,” for its habit of wearing tracks into bathroom-goers’ derrières before someone had the bright idea of outfitting it with a toilet seat), getting soaked by wave after wave. In the absence of outside communication, a pleasant solitude settled over us, the feeling that anything—a World War, the arrival of aliens—could have happened at the surface without our knowledge.
Beautiful writing.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
NCE12940
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 7 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:5)
Location 1: Midland
Location 2: Texas

Post by NCE12940 »

It was beautifully written for sure. I got this from The New York Times' *What We're Reading* weekly post. Always interesting tidbits in TNYT when you have unlimited time to browse!

Return to “Speak Easy”