Filter for Fry tank

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
drpleco
My images: 2
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Wausau, WI

Filter for Fry tank

Post by drpleco »

Hi everyone! First time poster here!

I'm hoping to breed my bristlenoses someday and have prepared a fry tank for whenever they decide to make me a grandpa. :D Anywho, it's a 20 gallon tank with plenty of wood, aeration, etc. The only filter I had on hand was a spare marineland HOT canister (250 gph) that I will soon connect to a bio-wheel pro system. I know that this is too powerful for fry, but is there a way to fry-proof it? Maybe I could attach a sponge over the intake?

Would I be better off putting the filter on the main tank and using a sponge filter until the fry are a little bigger? I'd rather not buy a new, ugly sponge filter, but will if it is necessary. If I do go the sponge route, what's the best way to set it up?

I know there are plenty of experts here. Could a few of you suggest a good setup for me? I have time before any babies arrive so would like to get all the kinks out early. Thanks in advance!!!

Andy
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

The fry is actually quite capable of resisting being sucked into things. I have an internal canister filter in my breeding tank, and so far I haven't seen any evidence of the fry being sucked up. Like most fish, the fry will actively swim against any current, so I think you'd be safe with any filter.

If you want to "fry proof" it, your idea of a sponge is good. Alternatively, you could use a fine net over the intake, like the the net part of a catching net, or ladies stockings [the "budget" or "basic" type is probably better for these purposes than a more expensive type. Obviously, if you have a suitable lady friend that can donate a used pair, that would make it "free"].

Is there any reason why you need to move the fry immediately out of the breeding tank? I've found that the fry are quite fragile just after they come out of "dad's" nest, but once they've grown for a couple of weeks, they are fine to be moved.

Best of luck.

--
Mats
Fish Soup
I've donated: $25.00!
Location 1: Penna. USA

Post by Fish Soup »

I use a Penguin 330 and a sponge in a 20 long. That's a good deal of current and I've had no problems. The stock stainer seems fine enough to prevent them being impelled. The power filter is turned off when feeding BBS or flake.

Keep the tank bare bottom. You'll need to do a lot of water changes when the fry appear. It makes the never ending clean-up a snap. You do not want to have to use a gravel vac with fry in there. Put some broken flower pots on the bottom for them to hide under.

You'll need at least two tanks once they get going. Mine spawn every 30 days, over 50 fry per spawn. That's a lot of fish! I leave the fry with the adults until the next spawn is ready to leave the cave. Then I move them to a grow out tank or sell them as fry. I wish my Zebras were half as productive!

Good luck

Don
nightowl1350
Location 1: Toronto, Ont

Post by nightowl1350 »

The fry may not get sucked up, but some get very curious and to in the filter on purpose, even where the sponges or other media are . Likely they get from tank down the water flow area if it touches the water line. Just check your filters often :) I use a 10g and sponge filter for eggs and Dad, then move them to a tank with only sponges when bigger and Dad goes back with the females.
drpleco
My images: 2
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Wausau, WI

Post by drpleco »

Thanks everyone!
djw66
Location 1: Arkansas
Location 2: Arkansas

Post by djw66 »

nightowl1350 wrote:The fry may not get sucked up, but some get very curious and to in the filter on purpose, even where the sponges or other media are . Likely they get from tank down the water flow area if it touches the water line. Just check your filters often :) I use a 10g and sponge filter for eggs and Dad, then move them to a tank with only sponges when bigger and Dad goes back with the females.
I know this is off-thread a bit, but I once found about 25 baby Botia dario swimming around merrily in my overflow filter. How they got in there without being impellered is a mystery to this day. I never saw their parents breed either, and to my knowledge they would of had to do some serious gymnastics to lay eggs in a filter that I cleaned every couple weeks.

Sorry for the reminiscence,
Dave
I dream of L-Numbers . . .
lovefishtank
Location 1: Taiwan
Location 2: Taiwan

Re: Filter for Fry tank

Post by lovefishtank »

The fry may not get sucked up, but some get very curious and to in the filter on purpose, even where the sponges or other media are . Likely they get from tank down the water flow area if it touches the water line. Just check your filters often :) I use a 10 g and a small sponge filter for eggs and Dad, then move them to a tank with only sponges when bigger and Dad goes back with the females. https://portlandaquarium.net/category/equipment/
Hi every body!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”