What have I found?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Flatdog
My cats species list: 35 (i:15, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Location 1: Rowhedge
Location 2: Colchester

What have I found?

Post by Flatdog »

I have just noticed a new catfish in my aquarium, not purchased by me, and I think the egg must have come in on a plant some time ago. On trying to identify it the closest I can come up with is the ASTROBLEPIDAE family. Approx 90mm in length. It doesn't look in very great condition, but seems happy enough by the filter return flow. I don't know if the long caudal fin is very obvious.
Attachments
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
Martin S
I've donated: $20.00!
My images: 9
My cats species list: 90 (i:19, k:0)
Spotted: 17
Location 1: Guildford, Surrey
Location 2: UK
Interests: Aquatics

Re: What have I found?

Post by Martin S »

Firstly, welcome to PlanetCatfish!
IMO it's unlikely to be from an egg, more likely a fish that has stowed away in a piece of bogwood or some plant roots, but still an unusual looking fish. I have no idea what it is, but am 99.99% sure it's not if only from the branched barbels - these are more reminiscent of a Synodontis, but with my limited knowledge, am sure there are plenty more species with branched barbels.
Interested to see what it is, am sure someone will help identify it.
Martin
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Flatdog,
Take a look through the species of Microsynodontis and see if you find a match.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
N0body Of The Goat
My cats species list: 25 (i:2, k:5)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 18
Location 1: Southampton
Interests: Sim racing; cycling (ideally not into the back of stationary dustbin lorries located on blind sweeping bends in wet weather, with rim brakes like chocolate teapots)

Post by N0body Of The Goat »

My initial thoughts are same as Shane's, they remind me of my old .

Albeit 90mm TL is much longer than my specimens reached.
Last edited by N0body Of The Goat on 01 Feb 2018, 15:57, edited 1 time in total.
Dreaming of a full-on 5x2x2 Zaire River rapids biotope...
Martin S
I've donated: $20.00!
My images: 9
My cats species list: 90 (i:19, k:0)
Spotted: 17
Location 1: Guildford, Surrey
Interests: Aquatics

Post by Martin S »

Good call @Shane. Could well be - the others of this genus are generally more rounded in the body, whereas M.polli is a longer looking fish, like the OPs...
Flatdog

Post by Flatdog »

Shane wrote: 01 Feb 2018, 11:28 Flatdog,
Take a look through the species of Microsynodontis and see if you find a match.
-Shane
Shane, many thanks for that - I had never heard of microsynodontis , and yet have 8 different Syno's. M.polli looks the closest - this fish has no patterning as such, but is symmetrically marked with small black dots on most of the anterior fins. It is definitely 85mm in length, but the caudal fin does look longer than those shown. How it has managed to live so long un-noticed is beyond me. I'll accept your ID as M.polli unless you feel there is some physiological reason not to. I'd be interested to hear from any other keepers of M.polli if their fish are similarly marked. Thank you again
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

At this point I think you are safe going with M. cf polli or even M. sp aff polli. I have no doubt that there are numerous undescribed Microsynos throughout Africa, so until something that is an exact match is described you can only say "it is like or similar to pollii but not an exact match."
Outstanding find for a free hitchhiker.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Flatdog

Post by Flatdog »

Just looking at the caudal fin, definitely rounded and not truncated or notched as most describe.

Return to “What is my catfish?”