Synodontis Lucipinnis suitable tank mates and biotope.

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
Jcaustralia
Location 1: Australia
Location 2: Sydney

Synodontis Lucipinnis suitable tank mates and biotope.

Post by Jcaustralia »

In a previous thread I mentioned I have 8 Lucipinnis.

They are my ever favourites, the whiskers make them look like cats and the face and spots like leopards. They do deserve their name, “Pygmy leopard catfish” :d

Can you guys suggest some peaceful (very important) tankmates for the Lucipinnis?

Also any ideas what’s the biotope looks like? Eventually I am considering doing a biotope aquarium for those guys.

Thanks

J
Scleropages
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 2: New Jersey

Re: Synodontis Lucipinnis suitable tank mates and biotope.

Post by Scleropages »

If you want to stay true to their biotope, I would check out some pics of coastal lake Tanganyika. It's quite rocky with lots of nooks and crannies. Most of the smaller species that are readily available from that lake are cichlids, which tend to be quite territorial. However, there are some species which are less aggressive such as Lamprologus brichardi and most of the Julidochromis sp.
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

Cyprichromis species or Tanganyikan killis
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
N0body Of The Goat
My cats species list: 25 (i:2, k:5)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 18
Location 1: Southampton
Location 2: UK
Interests: Sim racing; cycling (ideally not into the back of stationary dustbin lorries located on blind sweeping bends in wet weather, with rim brakes like chocolate teapots)

Post by N0body Of The Goat »

Some people use hard water rainbowfish species like Pseudomugil furcata as ditherfish for Tanganyika dwarf cichlids and catfish, some of your Austrain native species may well be suitable too, if you don't want to jump into a biotope just yet.

http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Furcatus.htm (great online book for rainbows)
Dreaming of a full-on 5x2x2 Zaire River rapids biotope...
marcoraimondo
Location 2: Italia

Post by marcoraimondo »

Scleropages wrote: 01 Feb 2018, 21:05 If you want to stay true to their biotope, I would check out some pics of coastal lake Tanganyika. It's quite rocky with lots of nooks and crannies. Most of the smaller species that are readily available from that lake are cichlids, which tend to be quite territorial. However, there are some species which are less aggressive such as Lamprologus brichardi and most of the Julidochromis sp.
Lamprologus brichardi (actually Neolamprologus) an alike afe the worst choiche they invade taking over the tank, other lamprologine like leleupi are better or Altolamprologus sp. shell maybe
best are paracyprichromis, or cyprichromis in large tanks
parac. stay in the water column near rock under overangs theyre the best, for biotope tank of minimum 1 meter long with slates rock creating caves and dimly lit

but If you keep a small tank the Tanganyika killis but not lamprichthys
or dithers that want high ph like livebearers

Return to “African Catfishes”