Cory Iridescence

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
yogi1103
Location 1: Colorado
Location 2: USA

Cory Iridescence

Post by yogi1103 »

Can some one explain why some Cory catfish of the same type (Albino Corydoras aeneus, for instance) vary so much in the iridescence? Is is age or diet? Male vs Female? I'm assuming an individual's genetics has a big part, but are there environmental reasons also?
catfishchaos
My cats species list: 35 (i:25, k:4)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Halifax
Location 2: Nova scotia, Canada
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

Re: Cory Iridescence

Post by catfishchaos »

I would imagine its largely environmental conditions like water clarity, lights, and how the fish swims and its overall shape all come into play- I'm not sure if I would assume its genetic or that I would assume anything for that matter. If it is a polygenic trait then you would be able to produce some interesting fish a few years down the road (in theory).

I don't know about diet but sex would certainly affect the over all shape of the fish and therefor the light would bounce off in a different way.
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...
yogi1103
Location 1: Colorado
Location 2: USA

Post by yogi1103 »

Yes, I hadn't thought of it in that way. The shape of the fish would effect the way the light bounces off the armor plates.

The reason why I'm pondering such things is that I'm watching 4 young albino(bronze) corys "color up" in the QTank. Watching this happen in albinos (without pigment to color up) has been interesting. These corys were from a lfs. With decent food they have gone from a translucent pink with thin white outlines of the body armor plates, to the body plates becoming opaque and for some of them,a lovely iridescent. I'm just curious. Surely some cory lover has manipulated diet or environment to accentuate this iridescence ? Or is it really only a matter of genetic lottery alone? Thanks All
Lycosid
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:2)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: United States
Location 2: North Carolina

Post by Lycosid »

Iridescence in animals is normally a structural effect, not a pigment. This means that the microstructure of the tissue creates the color. In colors produced by pigments diet can change the color by providing more or less pigment. In structural colors the color is more or less set once the tissue is made, although there are probably exceptions to this. This limits what can alter these colors.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Also substrate color can affect iridescence. The iridophores (pigment cells which create the shiny color) can be masked and unmasked by melanophores (black/dark colors) depending on the environmental background and the mood of the fish.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”