Pull them out or leave them in?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Narwhal72
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 100 (i:0, k:3)
My BLogs: 29 (i:0, p:400)
Spotted: 32
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Milwaukee, WI
Interests: Whiptails, hoplo cats, corys, plecos

Pull them out or leave them in?

Post by Narwhal72 »

In what seems like forever, I finally had my first uncommon pleco spawn. Was feeding fish last night and found a bunch of L333 babies in the tank.

The tank is a 30 breeder with just the L333 and some Corydoras semiaquilis in the tank. There is a decent amount of caves and driftwood in the tank for cover. Filtration is a mattenfilter with a circulation pump blowing current along the front of the tank. Pump runs only when the lights are on.

Should I pull the babies out or leave them in? In the past I have always pulled babies out. But all my fry tanks are currently filled with corydoras colonies for breeding. Would have to put some corys into holding tanks for a long time to grow out the L333.

Andy
MarcW
I've donated: $150.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 46 (i:9, k:19)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:1)
My BLogs: 12 (i:16, p:575)
My Wishlist: 55
Spotted: 42
Location 1: Hampshire
Location 2: UK

Re: Pull them out or leave them in?

Post by MarcW »

I would leave them, if you don't have somewhere ready for them.

In an established tank there should be plenty for them to graze on, and from the sounds of it lots of places to hide. When they get bigger you may want to move them on as depending on the number of fry it could get crowded in 6-12 months!
Jobro
My cats species list: 12 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Germany
Location 2: Allgäu

Post by Jobro »

Congrats. I think this topic will not give you a clear answer. I always prefer to move them to a hang in breeding box of some kind. Just to make sure they will get plenty food during their first weeks. I found for my tanks, that this will help maximize the amount of healthy, striving fry. When I leave them to their own, some will grow nice, but others will just stay thin and small and vanish at some point. With the breeder boxes I get about 90-100% survival and at least 80% grows pretty much consistent.
follow my Plecos on Instagram: welsgefluester
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Jobro wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 19:15I always prefer to move them to a hang in breeding box of some kind. Just to make sure they will get plenty food during their first weeks. I found for my tanks, that this will help maximize the amount of healthy, striving fry. When I leave them to their own, some will grow nice, but others will just stay thin and small and vanish at some point. With the breeder boxes I get about 90-100% survival and at least 80% grows pretty much consistent.
This would be my response too. I prefer to leave wigglers with dad until their yolk is almost gone, then move them all to a hang-on breeder basket/fry net. I will add a few oak leaves and small wood pieces to the basket and place their basket near a water flow (HOB outlet, powerhead, air stone). I feed heavily once or twice a day and siphon out poop and uneaten food at least once daily with a turkey baster. I'll leave fry in the basket up to three months.

Congratulations on your new babies. I hope they do well.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
MarcW
I've donated: $150.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 46 (i:9, k:19)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:1)
My BLogs: 12 (i:16, p:575)
My Wishlist: 55
Spotted: 42
Location 1: Hampshire
Location 2: UK

Post by MarcW »

I mentioned leaving them as I've had the most luck with that.

The majority of people seem to be in favour of moving them to more closely monitor and feed them.

Maybe catch what you can to put in a breeder box/net, and leave the harder to catch ones. Then you'll know after a few weeks which method gives the best growth/development for you.
Narwhal72

Post by Narwhal72 »

Thanks. I do have some breeder boxes and nets available. I think I may do the net box. Nothing will bother them and it will give the best waterflow.

Appreciate the advice.

Andy
Narwhal72

Post by Narwhal72 »

Pulled out 14 babies (probably a couple more hiding in the tank) and put them in the net breeder. Saw them munching on some Repashy this morning.

Andy
Narwhal72

Post by Narwhal72 »

When it rains it pours.

Went in yesterday morning with the flashlight and found a dozen more fry that were slightly smaller than the first group. Must have had a second male sitting on eggs in the tank somewhere.

Andy

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”