Strange behavior with L25

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
DHarris
My cats species list: 69 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Los Angeles
Location 2: California

Strange behavior with L25

Post by DHarris »

Roughly 4 months ago I finally got my hands on a 7-point L25.
When purchased it was about 9", healthy and active. It's only bad habit was that it would try to wedge it's self behind my filtration pipes. A couple of times while doing this, it actually wedged it's self in the small opening behind the lid on the tank. Fortunately I was there to push it back down.

About 2 months ago, I was out for the day and came back to find the top completely misaligned and my Pleco on the ground. In the midst of my having a heart attack upon seeing this, I grabbed it and tossed it back into the tank.
It took it a little while but seemed to come around and bounced back well and it seemingly has learned not to try to escape.

So now as to my question; My L25 spends most of it's time sitting on top of a big piece of wood in the middle of the tank. Occasionally it will cruise around but that's rare.
I've also not seen it eat in a couple of months. It's stomach looks full, yes are not sunken, broken tail from when purchased as regrown. All in all it seems to be a healthy fish.

All of my other pseudas are always scavenging and fight over any food that hits the bottom. This guy just sits there.

Is there anything here that should concern me? Maybe it's silly but I'm wondering if being out of water for what I assume was a long period of time gave it a bit of brain damage.
I'm just perplexed as it's so much calmer than it used to be and far lazier than either of my L24s, my L114s or my L600.

The only other difference I've noticed is that the red in it's fins is a bit lighter. I'm thinking this may have more to to with mood (my L24s pectoral fins seem to get more red when excited) or food.

Again, generally speaking it looks OK to me but it pretty much just sits in one place all of the time. I don't see it eat, but it doesn't look as though it doesn't. Maybe it's finding left over when all the lights are out.
Are some pseudas just lazy like some of us? I'm hoping it's fine and seeking some reassurance.

Thanks!

Here's a pic of it when first added and another more recent.
20180714_175620.jpg
20180906_180851.jpg
PseudaSmart
I've donated: $200.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 19
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
My BLogs: 9 (i:10, p:310)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Michigan, USA
Location 2: Ilha do Mel, Brazil
Interests: Breeding all Pseuda's. Finding a way to beat Parkinson's Disease.

Re: Strange behavior with L25

Post by PseudaSmart »

It’s at the bottom of the pecking order. Was being chased out of tank. Only place left is place of shame, out in the open. It’s not lazy it’s afraid to move.
At the very least totally rearrange the landscaping and hiding places. Give it a chance.
Almost 3,000 gallons solely for raising and breeding Pseudacanthicus.
Spawned to date: L25, L65, L97, L114, L160, L185, L427, LDA07 and P. leopardus (L600).
Check out my videos at: youtube.com/c/PseudaSmart
Also on Facebook. PseudaSmart (of course!)
DHarris
My cats species list: 69 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Los Angeles
Location 2: California

Re: Strange behavior with L25

Post by DHarris »

I typically rearrange the layout every month in hopes of preventing territories from forming.
I'll do a big rescape tomorrow.
The only larger plecos in there are my l330 and Panaque Cochliodon. Each tend to mind their own business though and only ever seem to notice each other.

I think I've only rearranged the tank once since noticing this behavior so happy to give that a shot.

My layout consists of large pieces of wood. Generally I try to create breaks in the line of sight while minimizing the wood's footprints on the bottom so waste doesn't get trapped.
Is this the correct thinking?

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”