Hit it with a shoe?!?!?!

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
matpreec
Location 1: Central london, UK

Hit it with a shoe?!?!?!

Post by matpreec »

Hi guys,

I was recently in need of some help 'quick-sharp'! but couldnt get to a computer to post my problem here :( . Anyways, i had a very ill Cory agassizii with a swolen eye and something similar to hole in the head in a very advanced stage :?

So i went to 6 of my LFS' and asked how was the best way to dispose (humanely) of my ill fish? replies came back as follows;

(1) "Clove oil added to the tank (6 drops per UK pint) and when the fish is unconscious.... smack it between 2 house bricks!!!"
(2) "Dunno"
(3) "To put the infected fish into a bag and place it in the freezer compartment, and the metabolism will slow down and put the fish to sleep".
(4) "Get some fish aneasthetic and administer a lethal dose"..... But we don't stock it!"
(5) "Hit it with a shoe?!?!?!" :shock:
Has anyone got any better solutions? and was ANY of this good advice? and should i ever trust my LFS again :?:
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

and was ANY of this good advice?
(3) and (4) seem to be regularly offered as advice here on the humane disposal of fish.
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

don't forget to put enough water in the bag.....

putting just a fish in the bag in the freezer is NOT a humane way to dispose uncurable fish!
Valar Morghulis
coelacanth
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Post by coelacanth »

Clove Oil is an effective fish anaesthetic, but is currently unlicensed in the UK for this purpose. Therefore I can't actually advocate using it but I can say that if you go to your chemist and buy some (it's very cheap) it will work. There would be no need to use the house bricks with an increased dosage.
metallhd
Location 1: Edmonton Alberta Canada

Post by metallhd »

I also vote the freezer, if for no other reason (as if humanity is not enough) to enable a reasonable post-mortem of an intact specimen . . . eewwwwww . . .
The toil of all that be helps not the primal fault
it rains into the sea, and still the sea is salt
RogerMcAllen
I've donated: $35.00!
Location 1: Champaign, IL, USA

Post by RogerMcAllen »

I vote for sharp knife decapitation.
doctorzeb
My images: 8
My catfish: 2
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Southwest Scotland
Interests: A healthy obsession with Zebras and some overkeen enthusiasm for doing up an old derilict house!

Post by doctorzeb »

Nah... definately the freezer. Although there as one time that I forgot, and when I took it out I swear there was this little guppy staring though the side of the ice waiting for me to return!!! GUILT TRIP!!!

rob
My wife made the mistake of buying me a 2 ft tank and it grew to 7ft.
Graeme
Location 2: Newcastle, England

Post by Graeme »

I'd go for adding a few drops of Alcohol in a bag of water! (happy sleep!). :P

G.
spiny
Location 1: Oslo,Norway
Interests: Fish,cacti,orchids,botany,biology,being up in the mountains, out in the forest, or sailing the ocean, etc etc

Post by spiny »

The natural way; into an Oscar's tank?
Bjorn H S

"Oh, uh, this..the moon is in the wrong position!"
Ozzy Osbourne
sidguppy
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

not with Corydoras agassizii....

that way the Oscar will choke on those spines and you'll loose both Cory and Oscar.....
Valar Morghulis
matpreec
Location 1: Central london, UK

Post by matpreec »

So the freezer wins? :D - Good (thats what i used). Thanks for your help guys!
Very much appreciated, although i keep a closer eye on whats going on in my tanks now, so i can nip it in the bud!

Although the Guppie story above did give me the idea for "fun party icecubes" :oops: - or at least for the Mother-in-Law... :lol:
Fiskars the Whiskers
Location 1: Ketchikan, Alaska
Interests: Catfish, coffee, math, reading, the internet, frolicing, going for drives, anthropology, Terry Pratchett books

Post by Fiskars the Whiskers »

)"Fun party icecubes"?! Ohhh, that is SO bad!! *LoL!!* :D "You'll know it's your drink by what fish is in the glass!"

I use the freezer, too. And like Docterzeb, I have forgotten about a fish, except it was my mom that found it! :shock: (While looking for salmon, too. Mmmm...I bet she enjoyed eating fish with me that night. :roll:
Line up!
doctorzeb
My images: 8
My catfish: 2
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Southwest Scotland
Interests: A healthy obsession with Zebras and some overkeen enthusiasm for doing up an old derilict house!

Post by doctorzeb »

I actually remembered that I had left the guppy in the freezer while I was out for a pre-stag do, (the night before my stag do). Obviously being a little worse for ware, I told the od person about this. Unfortunately the fish was my wifes, and I told her it had just "past on". The best man obviously corrected me on this during his speech, when he informed my new wife had killed her favourite fish. (I should add that the fish was beyond helo at this stage).

:lol:

rob
My wife made the mistake of buying me a 2 ft tank and it grew to 7ft.
stibolt
Location 1: Hamlet´s town, Denmark
Interests: Almost all catfishes, but mostly Panaque nigrolineatus

Post by stibolt »

Hmmm. . the freezer sounds good. However, it must depend on how much water you put in the bag, or. . ? I mean. . if the water freezes before the fish is hypernating, then. .
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Actually, the fish will expire long before the water freezes.
LimpingFish
Location 1: Israel

Post by LimpingFish »

Actually, putting the fish in the freezer is not humane at all.. The fish will be in stress, and will suffer as the water chill..
The most humane method is to take a glass filled with almost-ice water, add to it 3-4 ice cubes, and the put the fish in it. It will die instantly, without any pain.

Return to “Speak Easy”