Breeding large plecos

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Goggy
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Thailand
Location 2: Bangkok

Breeding large plecos

Post by Goggy »

Hi guys,
Can someone explain to me the deal with breeding large plecos?

When looking online for information on breeding large plecos I only find data regarding Pseudacanthicus species. I also only see captive bred babies and juveniles of cactus plecos for sale. Why is this?

I ask this because I am thinking of breeding my large plecos and it’s a decision between my adult L025, L027 Xingu platinum and my L095 (breeding tank is 300 gallons).

I realize that with information online, the 25 option seems the most practical for me, but to be honest, I much rather breed the 95 or the 27 as I like these fish more.

Also if possible can someone tell me the most commonly bred large plecos?

Thank you,
Goggy
Jobro
My cats species list: 12 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Germany
Location 2: Allgäu

Re: Breeding large plecos

Post by Jobro »

Hello,

the reason why there are no reports is that there have been no recorded spawnings on L27 and L95.

Cheers
follow my Plecos on Instagram: welsgefluester
Goggy

Post by Goggy »

The answer was as simple as being impossible to breed in captivity? Is that really it? I was expecting something like inconsistent breeding with the other species. Now I feel stupid

Thanks for the answer
Goggy
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Goggy wrote: 22 Mar 2019, 15:55The answer was as simple as being impossible to breed in captivity? Is that really it? I was expecting something like inconsistent breeding with the other species. Now I feel stupid
Not impossible, but rather, hasn't happened yet. Don't feel stupid. Fish are like this. :-)
Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
stuby
I've donated: $25.00!
My images: 1
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Big Rapids, MI.

Post by stuby »

We, as fish keepers need to give our fish what they want and need to breed...…. we can't read their minds and can only guess at what that is. Some plecs will only breed is a hole in a muddy bank for example. We can't provide that in most aquariums so breeding them isn't going to happen! Now saying for example a royal isn't capable of breeding in the aquarium isn't accurate...… we just need to figure out want they need and that takes time and some luck.

HTH
Chuck
Chris helland
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 1: Norway
Location 2: Rogaland

Post by Chris helland »

Wait you are telling me some pleco only bread in mudholes?
-Chris
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Chris helland wrote: 22 Mar 2019, 20:31Wait you are telling me some pleco only bread in mudholes?
In nature yes. The plecos dig burrows into the muddy banks.
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
stuby
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Big Rapids, MI.

Post by stuby »

Chris helland wrote: 22 Mar 2019, 20:31 Wait you are telling me some pleco only bread in mudholes?
Yes, I believe the L23 is one that does this. It still may be posable to breed them in caves..... and the only way we know for sure is to try! We just need to figure out what they need to breed is the hard part!
Bas Pels
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

bekateen wrote: 22 Mar 2019, 21:14
Chris helland wrote: 22 Mar 2019, 20:31Wait you are telling me some pleco only bread in mudholes?
In nature yes. The plecos dig burrows into the muddy banks.
Pterogoblichthys is an example. I've been thinking, what if one would take a large glass bow, fill it with and and attach a pipe on it. Obviously large enough so the male can get through - and the bowl large enough for both.

The male can do his burrowing thing, which he probably needs in order to develop hormones, and perhaps this would suffice
cats have whiskers
Jobro
My cats species list: 12 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Germany
Location 2: Allgäu

Post by Jobro »

I would think using nonburned clay/loam/silt would be the best option to provide a digging ground for plecos. Filtration will be another challange, though muddy water might not be a real problem for the fish, right?
follow my Plecos on Instagram: welsgefluester
Goggy

Post by Goggy »

That explains why they were digging holes.
Last year I read that in some rivers in Florida the invasive common plecos are causing a real problem as they were gathering in large numbers digging lots of holes for reproduction which erode at underwater cliffs in some deeper riverbanks causing like an underwater landslide or something?
ElTofi
My articles: 3
My images: 47
My cats species list: 33 (i:13, k:0)
My BLogs: 7 (i:0, p:373)
My Wishlist: 4
Spotted: 16
Location 1: Châtel St Denis
Location 2: Switzerland

Post by ElTofi »

In fact, there is one documented Breeding of Royal Pleco (Panaque armbrusteri "Araguaia"). It's been realized in Asia, by Stephen Huang.

An article was published in AMAZONAS US edition, in Nov/Dec 2013 issue.

And, YES, I'm sooooooo jealous...

It's been a 13 years old challenge for me...

first with LDA 63 (dead at the edge of maturity through a bacterial attack),

then with my Panaque L191 (given away to a public aquarium after 9 years of keeping and 2 years of trying),

and finally, I'm still on it with 10 years old Panaque schaeferi (2 left, after the disaster of March 1st, included a mature male)
the Potamotrygon adventure has begun...
Bas Pels
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

Jobro wrote: 23 Mar 2019, 09:19 I would think using nonburned clay/loam/silt would be the best option to provide a digging ground for plecos. Filtration will be another challange, though muddy water might not be a real problem for the fish, right?
As you pointed out, clay has itys disadvantages. I think for the fishes the material does not matter, but, obviously a sandbank wlle not allow any digging. Thus they only dig in clay.

But in case the hole is prepepared, sand would suffice. I think
cats have whiskers

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”