Mixing hoplos and dwarf cories?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Quokka
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Ansan
Location 2: South Korea

Mixing hoplos and dwarf cories?

Post by Quokka »

Hello everyone,

As the title says, is mixing to two of these species, Megalechis thoracata and Corydoras hastatus, opposite sides of the scale in the family Callichthyidae, possible?

I guess when both are young it is okay regarding food, water parameters and dwelling levels (But to be honest I find both species visit all columns of the water, so active and cute!)...But at full grown sizes, the hoplos will be 5 times longer and quite a bit heavier than the hastatus.

Is it better to not mix them? I always like seeing big fish and small fish coexisting peacefully so I was wondering if it would be okay.

I now have 5 species of catfish...My main tank is a catfish tank.....I love catfish so much!

Thank you in advance!
Quokka

Re: Mixing hoplos and dwarf cories?

Post by Quokka »

So...I attempted this combination with juveniles of both species (6cm for the hoplos, 1.5 cm for the cories) and I say they are doing well. Especially at feeding time (I feed Japanese fish fry feed, Tetra Colorbits, bloodworms and JBL Novotabs) the small catfish swarm all over the larger hoplos when they are digging into a Novotab, it is so funny to watch! The only potential problem I can forsee is the hoplos bothering the cories with their foraging if they try to sleep on the substrate! They usually sleep on plant leaves but they all seem to have their preferred sleeping sites.
I also did not expect hoplos to be so active. They swim almost consistently looking for something to eat! In relation to one of my previous threads, they seem to enjoy each other's company too!
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:38)
My aquaria list: 40 (i:17)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2674)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Hi Quokka,

Glad it's working so far. I suspect you didn't get any feedback in advance because few people keep hoplos to know the answer.

I hope the combination continues to thrive. Please keep us updated.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Quokka

Post by Quokka »

bekateen wrote: 26 Apr 2019, 15:31 Hi Quokka,

Glad it's working so far. I suspect you didn't get any feedback in advance because few people keep hoplos to know the answer.

I hope the combination continues to thrive. Please keep us updated.

Cheers, Eric
Hi Eric!

I guess so! Shame more people don't keep hoplos! They are so cute and funny...and quite the little piggies! They skim food off the surface!

Watching the hastatus crawling all over the hoplos while feeding (Reminds me of baby discus) and sleeping perched on top of a sterbai definitely makes fishkeeping worth it these days! Catfish are awesome!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”