Furrry Bog wood

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
predator
Location 1: united kingdom

Furrry Bog wood

Post by predator »

Hi
I have just noticed that the bog wood in my tank has started to grow fur over it!!.The tank is a fairly new set up and @ the moment contains one learius pictus.I soaked the wood untill the tanins had stopped leaching out of it before adding to the tank.Will this fur harm my fish and how do i get rid of it. :shock:
Thanks people
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

That's just fungus growing on the wood. It won't harm your fish.
predator

Post by predator »

Ok thanks so its just a case of taking the wood out and cleaning it off? :?:
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Yes, although you will never be able to get rid of the fungus completely, and it'll probably grow back again.
RogerMcAllen
I've donated: $35.00!
Location 1: Champaign, IL, USA

Post by RogerMcAllen »

This happened to me, currently my ghost shrimp like to pick at it.
lostris
Location 1: Malta

Post by lostris »

It happened to me as well, and i just lost patience, my boogwood is at the moment in d garage gathering up dust. In fact, what type of wood could i use that won't give me thi fungus problems. I have a freshwater community tank, it still in its 4th month so not yet really ready.
predator

Post by predator »

i was told that you can paint G-4 on the wood before adding to the tank.!!!! :D
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

I wouldn't paint the wood with anything, personally. Most of us add it to the tank so that the plecos can gnaw at it. Painting it would defeat that purpse. I've never had wood grow that fungus in tanks with a a few rasper types, only in quarantine type tanks with no plecos or hypancistrus. It didn't seem to hurt anything, but I scrubbed it off with a brush and hot water a few times and it stopped coming back, also.

Barbie
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

Although fungus does sometimes grow on driftwood in fish tanks, much more common is hair algae. This is a black, fuzzy growth that can sometimes get quite luxuriant. It is caused -- like most algae problems -- by an excess of nutrients in the water.

I have this problem at times. When it starts to bother me, I just dunk the driftwood in a weak bleach solution (1 part household bleach to 10 parts water), rinse it off well and return it to the tank. In tanks with strong plant growth, I rarely have this problem, as the pants outcompete the algae.

Dinyar
predator

furry bog wood

Post by predator »

ok thanks for the advice i think that maybe i might add a plec of some sort i will have to be one of the larger species though as l.pictus might chomp it.
:P
xander
My cats species list: 21 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:0)
Location 1: MN USA

fungus

Post by xander »

I heard that the fungus will stop growing once the bacteria in your tank develope to take care of it. I would just let it be until it cures itself. It may take a while but it doesn't harm the fish. The bacteria that take on the fungus are not the same as the ones that take part in the nitrogen cycle. But available food for certain bacteria will attract them.
paul_southend2k
Location 1: Southend on Sea, Essex, UK
Interests: Tropical Fish, Cars, People

Post by paul_southend2k »

Personally, I only came across the problem on some bits of Bog wood when I placed them in my new tank, all i did is took them out while doing a water change and scrubed them with a brush, this cleaned the wood wonderfully! I had to do it a couple of times to stop it growing back, but i must agree I woulnt paint it with anything if i was u.
predator

furry bogwood

Post by predator »

HI
Thanks for the info il try scrubbing it when i do me water changes and see if that keeps it @ bay :lol:
lostris
Location 1: Malta

Post by lostris »

Does driftwood cause the same problems og fungus? i think i'd go for it if it doesnt. Also I realized i need more light in my aquarium, d double of what I have in watts, would a reflector b good enough, or do I have to change light tube?
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Another option, especially if there are no fish in the tank, is to just treat with an anti-fungal medication. The fungas (I assume we are talking about the white fungas with a consistancy of snot) will be gone for good. Barbie is correct that you almost never see this stuff in tanks with loricariids. I have never had this fungas appear on wild collected driftwood either. Just the stuff bought in stores.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
matpreec
Location 1: Central london, UK

Post by matpreec »

i have this problem also but mine seems to be whitish hairy fungus...

I took the decision to leave it and it must have started to collect tiny bits of debris as my Pencil fish pick at it! My Cockatoo cichlid takes her batch of fry there between meals :)

I also use Oak branches/root and leaves collected from reliable clean sources too - without harm. i dont worry if a bit of fungus grows.
WALL
Location 1: BRISBANE
Interests: SOUTH AMERICAN FISH

Post by WALL »

THIS FUNGUS WILL KEEP ON COMING BACK NO MATTER HOW MUCH U SCRUB OR CLEAN .I HAVE SEEN IT CONTROLLED BUT IT KILLED 4 DISCUS AND MY BEST CATFISH .
NOT HAPPY JAN !!! .
SO LIVE WITH IT AND CHANGE YOUR WATER MORE OFTEN TO CONTROL IT .

THE WALL
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

Wall, please reach over and tap that caps lock key on your keyboard for us? Typing all in caps is considered yelling and in bad form....

There are different types of fungus, and while your fungus might have caused you problems, its doubtful ALL of them would. I personally didn't have any trouble with the Dicrossus filamentosa that were in the tank with the wood that grew it. They're well known to be finicky, so I think you'd have to admit it must differ from case to case. Keeping up water quality is ALWAYS a good idea. Not just when you're worried about funky stuff growing on your driftwood, IMO :D

Barbie
WALL
Location 1: BRISBANE
Interests: SOUTH AMERICAN FISH

Post by WALL »

Sorry guys and girls about the cap locks.
Water quality was fine and was tested more times then i wished ( from start to finish ).Reason i put in a claim to the company the sold me the product and the instructions that they told me to dose the tank .But at the end of the day, i get my money and i replace my fish and they also have a bad name now !
The fungus was NOT the cause of the problem, the remendy was.
So now just let the fungus grow and control with water changes and amount of light the tank gets.

Wall
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

So now just let the fungus grow and control with water changes and amount of light the tank gets.
Fungi do not need light to grow, so controlling the amount of light has no effect whatsoever on their growth.
jon b
Location 1: Newcastle-upon-Tyne NE UK
Location 2: UK

Furrry wood

Post by jon b »

I got white fungus on all wood (bog and mopani) in any new\tanks I set up. I originally thought this was due to autoclaving the wood at my previous employers lab. Without fail the wood could be cleaned by adding a gibby or bristlenose (to tank or adding wood to a tank containing these fish). Obviously given the treatments other people have to resort to, this may only work for some forms of the fur and won't be a good idea if you think the fur may be toxic.

Return to “Tank Talk”