How many whiptails (L10a) in tank

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Clarkie
Location 1: Melbourne
Location 2: Australia

How many whiptails (L10a) in tank

Post by Clarkie »

Hi all

I have a 170ltr corner tank. Just wondering how many L10a's I can keep in there. I have twelve in there at the moment with lots of Java fern caves and drift wood. I do 60 percent water change once a week and I have a male on eggs at the moment in a separate tank. I wouldn't mind getting a few more.

Thanks
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: How many whiptails (L10a) in tank

Post by bekateen »

Hi Clarkie,

I think it's fair to say your tank is safely understocked. I'm not advising you to get more adults, but rather I mean this: Once your fish start breeding, you'll have space in the tank for fry grow-out.

Sure, you could get more adults, but if your current stock of twelve is about 50-50 mixed males and females, then once they start breeding, you'll quickly find yourself with two or three males on eggs at once. You'll get flooded with fry, so I wouldn't recommend more stocking unless you have a chance to get individuals with higher quality coloration than whatever you have now. I say that because in the USA, most L10a I see are pretty muddy, compared to many of the European fish I see.

Good luck,
Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
emanuel
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:4)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Italy
Location 2: Trent (Trento)

Post by emanuel »

I agree with what bekateen said :-BD
sorry for my bad English
Clarkie
Location 1: Melbourne
Location 2: Australia

Post by Clarkie »

Thanks for the reply Eric

There are two other males in there but they don't seem mature enough at the moment so majority are females. The male on the eggs is in a separate tank and not much going on in the main tank with the others yet. Alright so I will get some more. Only juveniles around at the moment but I did see a breeding pair a few weeks ago at same shop I got mine from but he wants $170 for the pair. Might be a good investment.

Return to “Tank Talk”