Phylogenomics of Eurycheilichthys

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Phylogenomics of Eurycheilichthys

Post by Silurus »

Delapieve, MLS, LA Rocha & RE Reis, 2023. Phylogenomics of the narrowly endemic Eurycheilichthys (Siluriformes: Loricariidae): sympatric species with non-sister relationships suggest mainly allopatric speciation. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution DOI:10.1016/j.ympev.2023.107970.

Abstract

Armored catfishes of the genus Eurycheilichthys are endemic to Southern Brazil and Misiones (Argentina) comprising nine species of small size, with a high degree of sympatry and species diversity distributed in two river basins. Here we use new genome-wide data to infer a species phylogeny and test species boundaries for this poorly known group. We estimate 1) the phylogenetic relationships of the species of Eurycheilichthys based on 29,350 loci in 65 individuals of nine species plus outgroups, and 2) the population structure and differentiation based on 43,712 loci and 62 individuals to estimate how geography may have acted on speciation and formation of the sympatric species groups. Analyses support the monophyly of the genus and suggest two species-inclusive clades (East and West) with high support and very recently diverged species. Western clade contains E. limulus (from upper Jacuí River basin) that is sister to Western species of the Taquari-Antas basin plus E. paucidens. The Eastern clade contains E. pantherinus (from Uruguay River basin) sister to the Eastern species of the Taquari-Antas basin E. coryphaenus, plus the central-distributed species E. planus and E. vacariensis, and the more widely-distributed species E. luisae. Eurycheilichthys luisae is not monophyletic and may contain one or more cryptic species or hybrid individuals. A stronger diversity on structure of lineages on the Taquari-Antas, when compared to upper Uruguay and Jacuí River basins, and the fact that most of the sympatrically distributed taxa have non-sister relationships suggest a scenario of mainly allopatric speciation and may indicate a more dynamic landscape with headwater capture events among these tributaries.
Attachments
1-s2.0-S1055790323002701-ga1_lrg (1).jpg

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”