Gene flow in Pseudoplatystoma magdaleniatum

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Gene flow in Pseudoplatystoma magdaleniatum

Post by Silurus »

García-Castro, KL & EJ Márquez, 2024. Temporal analysis of genetic diversity and gene flow in the threatened catfish Pseudoplatystoma magdaleniatum from a dammed Neotropical river. PLOS ONE 19: e0301577.

Abstract

The striped catfish Pseudoplatystoma magdaleniatum is a large-sized migratory species from the north Andes region, endemic to Magdalena basin and one of the major fishery resources. Despite the estimated reduction of over 80% of the fisheries production of this species throughout the basin in recent decades, its population in the lower Magdalena-Cauca basin showed healthy genetics after molecular analyses. However, the current conservation status of this species and several habitat disturbances demand the re-evaluation of its population genetics to infer evolutionary risks and assess potential changes. This work analyzed a total of 164 samples from the Cauca River collected downstream the Ituango Dam between 2019–2021 using species-specific microsatellite markers to compare the genetic diversity and structure in samples collected between 2010–2014 from the lower Magdalena-Cauca basin, previously analyzed. Our results showed a relatively stable panmictic population over time (4 to 10 years), with high genetic diversity and evidence of recent bottleneck. Promoting habitat connectivity to conserve gene flow, characterizing diversity and genetic structure over the entire basin, and integrating the results with future monitoring are important aspects for the management planning for P. magdaleniatum in the Magdalena-Cauca basin.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”