Synodontis multipunctatus hosts

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
Herman63
Location 1: Kentucky, USA

Synodontis multipunctatus hosts

Post by Herman63 »

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone has ever used a S.A. mouthbrooder as a host, like a Geophargus?

Herman63
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

It's been done. A member of the ACA (don't remember exactly whom) spawned his Synodontis with a pair of red-humps Geophagus steindachneri.

It's an interesting experiment as to the reproductive cues to the catfish! Is it sound? Cichlids are noted as making noises while in the act of spawning, catfishes are noted for exceptional auditory senses. Is it chemical cues? Catfish are also noted for exceptional olfactory senses.

Makes you think, huh!?
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
Herman63

Post by Herman63 »

Thanks pturley,

I figure it had been done was just wanting conformation.

I will also be trying this when my Synos are mature, as of now the Geophagus steindachneri or Geophagus Pellegrini as they were sold to me as, are the only mouthbrooder I have :D

Herman63
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 29
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

I think it's the smell; cichlid semen, so to speak.

all spawning fish give off smell; it's always fascinating to see how fast other -eggrobbing- species arrive on the scene, once fishes start to spawn.

Synodontis are notorious eggrobbers. It's not hard to see, how eggrobbing could evolve into chuckoo-spawning; as lots of fish are triggered into spawning by smelling other fish spawning (something that's particular obvious in Rainforest species at the beginning of the rainy season)
Valar Morghulis
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

I agree that olfactory senses are the likely trigger for fish nearby, however over greater distances I'd think sounds produced by breeding cichlids would also play a role.

Another reason to believe this is that in my thanks the catfish actually re-assess their heirarchy (both the males and females fight it out. The victors are typically the ones to spawn with the cichlids) as much as a day in advance of the the cichlids actually spawning.

I used to use these fights as a cue to watch for brooding cichlids.
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
JimLynchAZ
Location 1: Tucson, Arizona USA
Interests: Catfish, plecos, discus, African Cichlids

Post by JimLynchAZ »

I'd think more of an issue than breeding sounds or scents, as I'd assume to a catfish a cichlid is pretty much a cichlid, you know they all pretty much look alike to a catfish VBG, is how agressive the cichlid is in defending it's spawning site.

My synodontis multis were able to join in with the spawning Protomelas steveni but, I'd like to see them try it with my big 5" Hap. They, the synos, need a reasonable chance to do their thing so, the less agressive the fish is defending it's spawingin activity probably the more sucessful the catfish are. That might be the best selection criteria for a host fish.

If the S. American cichlids egg size, color and incubation period are similar to the African cichlids then I don't see why synodontis could not exploit them in the same way. I'd guess incubation period would be the least improtant and egg size and color the most improtant. The mother cichlid has to be fooled into picking up the cat's eggs for any of this to go anywhere.

Let me know how it works out for you, I'd be interested in learning about your experience with S. American host fish. 8)
Never walk away from a running Python.
Herman63

Post by Herman63 »

Wow!!!

Thanks all for your replies this is getting interesting....

Herman63

Return to “African Catfishes”