What to do with a 30 gal?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
chupapiedras
Location 1: Puerto Rico
Interests: FISH, allways fish!

What to do with a 30 gal?

Post by chupapiedras »

HI,
I have a 30 gallon tank currently acting as a grow out tank for a female Red Devil. In a few months this fish is going in a Central American cichlid pond. Since its going to be empty, I thought you guys could help me out with suggestions. Everything goes(from mountain streams to a leaf litter setup), as long as its is South American. Just imaging its your tank and be creative!

Thanks in advance,
Eduardo
As long as you are alive you can obtain happiness!
patrickstockton
Location 1: Portland, Oregon USA

Post by patrickstockton »

get some pretty royals (L191, L027).
Panaque maccus LDA22
Panaque nigrolineatus L190
Ancistrinae L200 - "Spotted Green"
Ancistrinae L239 - "Blue Panaque"
Hisonotus leucofrenatus - "Niger Oto"
Otocinclus flexilis
Otocinclus arnoldi (vittatus????)
Parotocinclus maculicauda - "Red Finned Oto"
Parotocinclus jumbo LDA25 - "Pitbull"
Hypancistrus zebra L046 - "Zebra"
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

get some pretty royals
These get too big for a 30-gallon.
Crazie.Eddie
Location 1: Illinois

Post by Crazie.Eddie »

Use it as a QT tank. If you're into photography, use it as a photo tank OR both. Just paint the back black (on the outside of course), put some gravel and some decor and let the filter run. Since you're supposed to QT any new fish first before introducing it to your tank (avoid spread of diseases, etc.), while it's in there, you can take a picture of it. With it being the only fish there, you won't have any problems of any other fish getting into view.
- Ed

125 Gallon (1*L018 Gold Nugget, 1*L204 Flash, 1*L260 Queen Arabesque, 5*Discus, 5*Angels, 5*Clown loaches, 8*Harlequin Rasboras, 3*Rainbowfishes, 5*Otocinclus, 7*Cories)
20 Gallon Long (2*L046 Zebras, 1*L183 Starlight Bristlenose, 10+* Cherry shrimp, 4*Otocinclus)
20 Gallon Long (20+* Cherry shrimp, 5*Amano shrimp, 2*Bamboo shrimp)
chupapiedras

Post by chupapiedras »

Thanks guys.
The reason I posted is because I'm lost. I already have a QT tank and I am into paintig(photographing feels like a betrayal).
I started setting up ponds for cichlids(eventhough I planning to add doradids, pimelodus pictus and common plecs among other cats) and using tanks for catfish and community setups.

Unfortunately, I can't find peckoltias and except for zebras(not going to happen) the only plecos I can find are:
Panaque nigrolineatus
Gold Nuggets
Royal Whiptail Farlowellas
Farllowelas
Chaetostoma sp.
Bristlenose ( the bristles freak me out, although here they don't show up often, breed them?)
Blue plecos? (assuming they are L-128 or L-200, might see what they are for $15, maybe they could be L-239)

I was thinking of making it a planted tank, but someone is always turnig off the light! I also thought about cories but the only sand I can find is really fine
As you can see I am severly limited so if you guys think of anything , please let me know.

Thanks,
Eduardo
chupapiedras

Post by chupapiedras »

Could L-200 fit in this tank ? If so, how many?
chupapiedras

Post by chupapiedras »

Anybody?
Come on guys...will 3 l-200 and a nice school of tetras(byotope) be to much, assuming at least a 300 gph filtration setup?

Eduardo
Crazie.Eddie

Post by Crazie.Eddie »

According to the Cat-eLog, the L200 will get up to 6.4" so it won't get too big. It's also a good algae eater, so apparantely, the neons and L200 would be perfect tankmates.
- Ed

125 Gallon (1*L018 Gold Nugget, 1*L204 Flash, 1*L260 Queen Arabesque, 5*Discus, 5*Angels, 5*Clown loaches, 8*Harlequin Rasboras, 3*Rainbowfishes, 5*Otocinclus, 7*Cories)
20 Gallon Long (2*L046 Zebras, 1*L183 Starlight Bristlenose, 10+* Cherry shrimp, 4*Otocinclus)
chupapiedras

Post by chupapiedras »

Thanks Crazie.Eddie(its always good to meet another Ed)
I had an idea about their size, my question was directed to the number of individuals(to many to little).What do you think?

BTW, I will think about the neons because they are so cool, but after being a fan of some of the moderators and members on the forum, they turned me into a mutant/hybrid hating byotope loving freak!!!

Eduardo
Crazie.Eddie

Post by Crazie.Eddie »

I will think about the neons because they are so cool, but after being a fan of some of the moderators and members on the forum, they turned me into a mutant/hybrid hating byotope loving freak!!!
So you are not going with the Neons? What have you decided on?
- Ed

chupapiedras

Post by chupapiedras »

I haven't written-off the neons just yet. But I MIGHT go with a venezuelan tetra instead. I've decided to make the l- 200 as the kings of this tank, its the number of individuals that puzzles me since I am not familiar with their temperament (I will like more than one incase of an accidental spawn). If a nice byotope(a generalized one will be good enough) setup occurs to you, please let me know.

Eduardo

Return to “Tank Talk”