Lights-on Raphael sightings

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Elspeth
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Kansas City, Missouri

Lights-on Raphael sightings

Post by Elspeth »

Right, this probably isn't nearly as exciting to anyone else, but I've been bouncing around and need someone to tell the news to. The past two evenings I have seen one of the striped Raphaels moving around, tank lights on, early in the evening.

Last night makes sense -- the lights didn't get turned off on schedule or anything like it. They were on at one a.m. :oops: But the previous night lights-off was on schedule in the mid-late evening (shortly before bedtime for humans). Yes, it is a bit of a thrill when a fish you don't expect to see much of decides to make an appearance! And I had been expecting night viewing only for at LEAST a month, so this is a fascinating development.
Fiskars the Whiskers
Location 1: Ketchikan, Alaska
Interests: Catfish, coffee, math, reading, the internet, frolicing, going for drives, anthropology, Terry Pratchett books

Post by Fiskars the Whiskers »

Yaaaaaaay!!!!! I am extremely happy for you! The other night I saw my adult upside-down cat come out from hiding and eat! First time I've ever seen it be social! So I can definitely empathize with you! :D :D :D
Line up!
spiny
Location 1: Oslo,Norway
Interests: Fish,cacti,orchids,botany,biology,being up in the mountains, out in the forest, or sailing the ocean, etc etc

Fish sightings!

Post by spiny »

Hi, there!
Lucky you! My Corydoras adolfoi still believe I'm Godzilla himself, and quickly turn absolutely invisible when I enter the room. After a brief look in the mirror, I have to say I shouldn't look THAT bad, but fishies may have a slightly differing taste of what is beautiful, and what's not...

So, I throw some mosquito larvae or something into the tank, and then I'll have to leave the room or make myself invisible... not that easy when you're 1,90 meter tall... All other fishes I've had over the years have been familiar with me, but adolfoi, they run (swim?!) like crazy to the nearest shelter.

I'll try some funny fluorescent mustages or red clown nose; that might change their attitude, if I'm not too far out??(!). I could risk traumatizing my fishies, but scarier beasts should lurk in the Amazonian waters, so I'll take the chance...

I havent been on the forum the last weeks, because of a cacti project, and a planned moving back to my dearest home Norway.

Fiskars, nice that your upside down fish is doing fine!!!

Best Fishes

Bjørn
Bjorn H S

"Oh, uh, this..the moon is in the wrong position!"
Ozzy Osbourne
chupapiedras
Location 1: Puerto Rico
Interests: FISH, allways fish!

Post by chupapiedras »

I'm happy for you!

Told you raphaels are way cool! Keep us posted on dorad adventures.

Eduardo
As long as you are alive you can obtain happiness!
citizen_kangg
Location 1: Southeastern US
Interests: Blue-Eyed Pleco

Striped Raffy

Post by citizen_kangg »

Hi. So, you know their ways. Ever seen one pregnant? I have a small Raf, belly distended, only 1 specimen but new to my community tank. She doesnt seem to be distressed, but it's weird that she's so red bellied. LIke she's ready to burst! :shock:

Your thoughts?
Elspeth
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Kansas City, Missouri

Post by Elspeth »

I'm quite new to them myself, but all the reading I did says that they will gorge if enough food is available. Maybe you're overfeeding? They will eat enough to distend their bellies. (I assume they have enough sense to stop before they actually burst, but I'm still not going to put enough food in to test that!)
citizen_kangg
Location 1: Southeastern US
Interests: Blue-Eyed Pleco

Rafael Revisited

Post by citizen_kangg »

I think you are right. Distension is gone, and no babies. Also, no apparent distress, good color.

I'd be shocked to know I'm overfeeding, but there's plenty of room at the bottom of the tank for flotsam, so it is possible. Thank you. 8)
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

Post by corybreed »

A healthy Raphaels stomach always looks distended. They will eat until they explode. Jaguars are the same way. I only see mine when I clean the tank. I am amazed they can wedge themselves inside the ceramic tubes and then extricate themselves to eat.
Mark

Return to “Speak Easy”