Unknown catfish is stuck in a rock!

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
hclemson
Location 1: Lancashire, England

Unknown catfish is stuck in a rock!

Post by hclemson »

Hello,
I have a problem, my catfish has got itself wedged in a rock in my tank. It sleeps in this rock every day, and has so far had no problems. Until recently. He has been stook there for about a 10 days now, and ive no idea how to get him out. He's got his head wedged at a funny angle, as you can see his head slightly poking out a hole in the end of the rock and you can see his body in the open bit of the rock.

Any suggestions welcomed please!!!!!!!

p.s. sorry if ive got the wrong forum as i am new too this
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Did you actually see it trying to free itself? It may not be stuck after all.
hclemson

Post by hclemson »

Ive tried poking him gently, from both ends! levering him and tickling his nose! He is well and truely wedged! I dont want to do anything to hurt him, but i dont want him to die in there either. Any suggestions?
BK
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Wisconsin

Post by BK »

what type of rock is it?
Power To The Pl*cos
Graeme
Location 2: Newcastle, England

Post by Graeme »

You sure it's a Catfish? I know of other fish species which will hug any cave area! How would you describe "wedged" is it no movement what so ever?

G.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

Catfish can "lock" their spines into position to keep from being eaten or drug from caves, just like you're talking about. I'd keep an eye on it for a week or so, even set it out in the front of the tank in bright light where it isn't such a great hiding spot and see if he gets himself out. Odds are he can, but he's stressing out and locking himself in to keep you from dragging him out, IMO.

Barbie
hclemson

Post by hclemson »

Hello,
We'll he's still not come out! Im not sure what kind of catfish he is, as he was give to me about two months ago. He doesnt do much either, just comes out in the morning for some food, then goes back in his cave. He's black all over, with white spots, and has barbs on his fins and is about 4 inches long. He always stays in this rock, but comes out at least every other day... its been nearly two weeks now. I can still see him breathing, but ive just left him to his own devices now. Ive taken some pictures, and ill post them when i find the wire to connect the camera to the computer!
hclemson

Post by hclemson »

Ive uploaded some pictures, they are here
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4 ... 0000001610

Does that make it clearer? His head is facing downwards, which you cant see, there is a hole in the bottom right part of the rock where you can see his head when you lift the rock up!
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Have you tried looking after the lights are out to see if your spotted raphael () is swimming about?
Doradids are known to wedge themselves very tightly to one spot (which they favor to all others) and are usually extremely light-shy (meaning that they are not usually out and about during the day).
Elspeth
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Kansas City, Missouri

Post by Elspeth »

I would like to hear (read) whether the fish is indeed active at night. I'm also concerned that the rock has been moved and the fish hasn't exited; maybe it wasn't moved much, if it were simply lifted up and out I would expect a healthy and hiding fish to make a run for some other cover. Wouldn't this be a good quick test, if hclemson hasn't seen the fish out and about at night?
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

If you lift the rock out of the water with the raphael inside, it'll wedge itself even more tightly into the rock in defense.
chupapiedras
Location 1: Puerto Rico
Interests: FISH, allways fish!

Post by chupapiedras »

You're lucky that it comes out every other day. I used to keep an A. pectinifrons that went unseen for around 8 months, until my brother asked me about it and we went looking for it. Keep in mind that the tank wasn't even planted.

Eduardo
As long as you are alive you can obtain happiness!
brianfl
Location 1: South Florida

Post by brianfl »

Have you tried looking after the lights are out to see if your spotted raphael (Agamyxis pectinifrons) is swimming about?
Doradids are known to wedge themselves very tightly to one spot (which they favor to all others) and are usually extremely light-shy (meaning that they are not usually out and about during the day).
Slightly off topic, but I've wondered this for a while. I have had several Raphaels and whenever I have watched them swim about when there is light, they seem to not be real graceful and even at times bump into things. I know they do not like light, but do they have a hard time seeing while the light is on? It seems that they are almost blind when the lights are on.

Thanks,
Brian
hclemson

Post by hclemson »

Hello,

We'll ive not seem him move around after the light is turned off, but i think he may have moved, as he looks to have turned round in his rock! So hopefully your right and he is coming out at night. Still rather odd that he stopped coming out in the morning for food.

In reply to brianfl, when my catfish did come out in the morning, i fed him with the tank light off, but the light in the room on and he still swam around bumping into things... usually my little albino cats!

And thanks silurus for that link, he definately looks like a spotted raphael and all the characteristics are there.

I will keep an eye out when its lights out to see if he'll come out and let you know.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

On a side note here, if you move that rock so that the hole he is in is out in the center of the tank, and turn it over so its exposed to more light, odds are good he'll find a new hiding spot, within a day or two, and you'll be able to know for sure if he's trapped or not.

Barbie

Return to “Speak Easy”