Shovelnose on pellets?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
BoBzz
Location 1: Fenton, MI
Interests: SA and African Biotope Aquariums

Shovelnose on pellets?

Post by BoBzz »

I just picked up a couple Sourbim Lima the other day and after some black worms they seem to be accepting anything I give them(Beefheart, bloodworms, Krill, etc..) ... except pellets....

I dont have enough time or money to feed them only frozen/Live so I need them on pellets soon!

They are still quite small, probably only 4-5" head to tail.
Is this small enough to ween them on to pellets or am I stuck?

Any Tips, Comments, Ideas????

Thanks,
Sam
*Fishes*
4x Hypselecara Temporalis (6-7")(3-4")
4x Myleus/Metyinnis sp. (2-3") 1x Leporinus Fasciatus (2")
2x Sorubim Lima (4-5")
1x Pseudomystus Siamensis 1x Ompok sp. (5")
2x Synodontis Ocellifer (6") S. Decorus (1-2") 1x Mystus Leucophasis (7")
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

IME, S. lima seem to like Hikari carnivore pellets the most. If you haven't already, I recommend you give those a try.

Rusty
AGV
Location 1: argentina

Post by AGV »

HI!. In my experience the best allways was wardley cichlid pellets in sm size. Also it´s really good Tetra for discus but i think will be more expensive there and for the first moment wardley pellets iare better because floats in the top. Your fish are in size to eat pellets, i´m sure they will do it.
Another good thing is feed them with the lights off.
Good luck
Ag
chupapiedras
Location 1: Puerto Rico
Interests: FISH, allways fish!

Post by chupapiedras »

Whatever you chose try it fast,at 8" mine will ONLY eat krill.

Rusty, is Hikari carnivore pellets even an option after they have chosen a particular food?

Hey Sam see if store bought shrimp appeals to her, after all its cheap and maybe offering various type of foods will get her to try pellets. Be patient with her and if you get her to eat pellets please let me know.

Eduardo
As long as you are alive you can obtain happiness!
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 29
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

I kept a duo some years ago and fed them on krill, shrimp, earthworms and small, dead fish; the ones you can buy frozen for the cat (called "spiering" in Dutch, no clue for the English name; Latin name is Osmerus spp).
Valar Morghulis
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Post by coelacanth »

sidguppy wrote:small, dead fish; the ones you can buy frozen for the cat (called "spiering" in Dutch, no clue for the English name; Latin name is Osmerus spp).
Smelt. Also similar to the Eulachon from Canada. The thing to be aware of with these is that they apparently contain high levels of thiaminase, an enzyme that destroys thiamine. Overfeeding with them can lead to health problems, but as part of a balanced diet they are great.
steez138
Location 1: Detroit, MI
Interests: Pims!

stop feeding

Post by steez138 »

just stop feeding anything else but the pellets, my large lima eats everything from pellets (any kind) to feeders, shrimp, chicken, and any other protien that you could possibly put in the tank. once there is not much food around, it will come around and eat pellets especially if there is nothing else around.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”