L147 Info, please!

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
chupapiedras
Location 1: Puerto Rico
Interests: FISH, allways fish!

L147 Info, please!

Post by chupapiedras »

HI
I am in need of assistance. Recently my LFS got what they call Chocolate Zebra Brown Plecos(mostly P.maccus), but there is on that has spots on the head and stripes on the tail. It looks to me like L147, except that I don't know anything about the fish or the genus for that manner and the cat-e-log did not have much info. Can anybody help me?

i'm also contemplating the idea of a spotted peckoltia.
As long as you are alive you can obtain happiness!
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 244
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

See even this tread http://forum.planetcatfish.com/viewtopic.php?t=6729

They belongs to Ancistomus or Peckoltia depending whom you asking, mine are now between 13-16 cm (5-6") and doesnt act or look as a Peckoltia but they are very easy to keep and eat almost everything so they are omnivores and needs both vegetables and frozen food. I think they will be around 20 cm when they are full grown and they look much more prettier as adults then they are when they are younger, the male gets more growth of odontodes at the gills and look slender then the female and have also brighter colour especially at the dorsal and pedunkel fin.

Male

Female

Not the best pic but I did'nt have any other for the moment.

Janne
chupapiedras

Post by chupapiedras »

Thank you Janne! I had read that post that is how I got the idea of L147.
Couple of questions if you don't mind.
1. Are you sure about the full grown size? Thats 8"right?
2. How is there temperament? Is more than one possible? Tank size?
3. Origin? Water parameters?
4. Availability? Is $22 agood price for one?
5. Any breeding reports?
6. Could you please post more pictures, full body is possible?
7. Since yours seem to be in great shape, could you describe a little yuor setup or post pictures of your tank?

Again, thanks for repling to my post. I hope its not to much trouble.

Eduardo
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

Sorry to chime in on a direct question, but...

chupapiedras wrote:
1. Are you sure about the full grown size? Thats 8"right?
I heard 6"-7" but that's close enough.
2. How is there temperament? Is more than one possible? Tank size?
3. Origin? Water parameters?
Mine are quite docile and tolerant of each other and of common aquarium conditions (125ppm, 6.6-7.2 pH, 76-82F)
I have four in a 75 gallon community tank for grow out. I quarantined all four in a 20 long with no more than a split fin or so to show for it.
4. Availability? Is $22 agood price for one?
5. Any breeding reports?
6. Could you please post more pictures, full body is possible?
Given that the fish come in as contaminants with Panque maccus in shipments from Columbia, they can be had at a cheap price. You just need to look around abit. I paid $2.99 each for the four I currently have. Mind you this was for 1.5" long fish. If it was a larger specimen in good shape, I'd say $22 U.S. would be a fair price.

No breeding reports that I have heard of. Sounds like a number of people are working toward it though. Myself, eventually included.

Try the Cat-ELog page for more photos.
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
Janne
Expert

Post by Janne »

1. No I'm not sure about the full grown size but I dont think they will grow much bigger.
2. They are quite timid but mature males will fight about the best cave without hurting each other very much...so if there are plenty of good hiding places and caves to shose of you can have several together.
3. I think they origin from same water as the P.maccus wich means around pH 7,0 and a little harder water somewhere between 100-200 µS depending on the season I think.
4. As mention earlier they are not exported as a L-no...yet so they comes as contaminants and the price is not the most important I think...if the exporter new about that he are selling an other species then P.maccus they would be more expensive I think.
5. I have just breed them for a week ago without experimenting to much with the water chemistry, they breed in my ordinary tapwater pH 7,3 and conductivity 200 µS, the most important when you breed catfishes is to keep the tank water in very good quality...no nitrates or as low as possible so water changes very often.
6. I have some pics but not on my males yet...they are always hiding in the caves but I will take some new later in the summer.

Gravide female.

One day old fry.

7. The pair that have breed are in a 200 L tank with sligtly current with some caves of different sizes, they shose the tightest one for spawning...the entry is 5 cm wide and 4 cm high and the total length is 23 cm.

Janne
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

Janne,
Congradulations on the spawn! Excellent work.

I should hope to follow suit is about a year (when mine are grow).
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
Janne
Expert

Post by Janne »

Today the male was visible a little more...but not in full lenght :D

Janne
chupapiedras

Post by chupapiedras »

Ive bought into the idea. Running to the store (I'love the fact thay itis 2min walking). While we're at it, is $30 good for a shark fin L200 and $46 for a L260 and will they coexist with L147 in a tank with alot of river rocks and caves.

I can't express how happy you guys made me.

Eduardo
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

HI!

Well Congrats Janne, that is an excellent news...

Could you tell us more about how that spawn happened?

Size of the breeders?
Number of eggs?
Feeding?
and so on...

Anyway looking forward to read an article in the shane's world section

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Janne
Expert

Post by Janne »

Eduardo,

They will coexist together, even that the L200 will be the most dominant catfish in your tank so when you feeding them you will need to spread the food on several places in the tank.
I would bought maybe 3 or 4 of L200 instead and none of the L260 of several reasons, first you will enjoy the L200 much more because its not so shy and are always on the move...looking for food or impress for other species of its own. L260 are best keeping as the only species of catfish in a tank there they not will be to shy and for study their behavior, with other bigger catfishes you will hardly see them at all.
Are you lucky to turn up of both sexes of L200...give them suited caves of the right size but wait until they have reach 12-15 cm (5-6") depending on how big your tank is you should only keep one mature male with the females and remove the others (they will fight if there is a interested female in the neighbor).
I have not so much experience of L200 yet...but I think they are quite like L128 in their behavior and these I know much better.

I have had the L147 for a while and have not given them so much thought earlier about breeding them but this spring I moved a pair into their own tank for given it a try, the female are 13 cm and the male is 16 cm (mesure them when moving them into the tank) but I think the male has grown a little since then.
I was not expected such a huge clutch of eggs but they suprised me with almost 100 fry.
The rest I will save for the articel :wink:

Janne
chupapiedras

Post by chupapiedras »

Thanks Janne! It seems you read my mind. The L260 was going into one of my 30's, so I can slowly build up a small colony. I have plans to either set up a 3 feet 50 gallon or another pond for L-200 ( If my LFS decides to work with me and get more than one) and the L-147 I haven't decided yet. Anyway, I may not be able to buy any one fo them since the vissit to the LFS had to be postponed due to some heavy rain(week long affair), car trouble and finals at college. Let it be Known I barely slept through the night.

Eduardo

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”