snail eating pleco

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
xander
My cats species list: 21 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:0)
Location 1: MN USA

snail eating pleco

Post by xander »

I havve what I thnk to be some sort of Leporacanthicus. I have read that some of these eat snails. I have it in a tank with apple snails. One adult, about 30 averaging 30cm, and a fresh clutch of eggs. I am wondering how a pleco would eat the snails. Can they eat all sizes. I can understand how they could eat them before they get any color in their shell as they are still relativly soft. Once hardened do they eat the whole thing or do they leave a shell. Last time I cleaned out the tank I did not find a whole lot of empty shells. If they are eating them I would like ot know if I will see signs of it. This catfish does not come out in daylight. He shares a cave with a growing L001. The L001 is twice the Leps size and plugs the cave hole so I rarley even see the Lep. And Never seen him feed.
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

Leporacanthicus use their long front teeth to grasp the foot of the snail and tear them out of their shells. I would guess a large apple snail is lilkely out of their standard prey sizes but I wouldn't bet any money on it :D . Smaller one's would clearly be considered "on the menu".
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”