opinions fluval 404

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Cow
Location 1: Brooklyn, N.Y.

opinions fluval 404

Post by Cow »

I need some opinions from people who have canister filter Fluval 404. How good is it? Did you see an improvement in water quality after you started using it, were there less dirt when you vacuumed? And the last one, does filter media comes with it or do I have to buy it separately the first time?
magnum4
Location 1: UK wirral
Interests: all things aquatic.

Post by magnum4 »

fluval 404 external filters and are well worth the price, they do take in alot of solid waste yes, and they do come with media.

eheim are still the best though IMO.
Cow

Post by Cow »

i heard from some that they had problems with 404's, mainly hoses coming out of the tank, and cleaning the filter itself. The same have recommended Filstar XP3 http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW ... mdy00.aspx
. They are almost the same price, so it des not effect my choice, so I want to know which is better in my price range?
magnum4
Location 1: UK wirral
Interests: all things aquatic.

Post by magnum4 »

for my money the fluval is better, plus it's got locking nuts for all the hose so god knows how it could come off.
medaka
Expert
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 5
My images: 66
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:1)
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Runcorn.
Location 2: Cheshire.UK
Interests: Asiancatfish/corys

filters

Post by medaka »

hi cow

is the fluval the old type or the new .. the new being the square type,
i am using the old circular type which i find to be a good external filter, i have never used the newer squarer type .. however a couple of friends have said that the hoses supplied with them
tend to collect debris on the ridges and this seems to be conributing to poorer water quality
on the inflow as compared to the older type..

is anyone else aware that there may be a very slight problem re-lating to the contours of the hoses used in the newer model.. ..
Cow

Post by Cow »

Cow

Re: filters

Post by Cow »

medaka wrote:hi cow
however a couple of friends have said that the hoses supplied with them
tend to collect debris on the ridges and this seems to be conributing to poorer water quality
on the inflow as compared to the older type..

is anyone else aware that there may be a very slight problem re-lating to the contours of the hoses used in the newer model.. ..

yeah, I went to the store and took a look the those hoses. They have those ribs or whatever they are called. I wonder if they have the same structure on the inside, because if they do it would definitely catch stuff.

Return to “Tank Talk”