How to feed my Leopard Cactus Pleco

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
pmnovak1
Location 1: Chicago, IL

How to feed my Leopard Cactus Pleco

Post by pmnovak1 »

I've recently purchased a leopard cactus pleco and I'm wondering how I should actually feed it. The site here talks about prawns, mussels, etc. Thats fine, but I'm not sure if I've ever seen him move from his hiding place.

Should I try to put something at the bottom, turn out the lights, and wait patiently for him to move? Should I use something to place the food right by his head and see if he'll eat it? What have other people done for fish like this that only feed at night and don't take the typical manufactured food?

Thanks,

Paul
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

Paul could you please add your location to your profile? It's one of our rules, so that we can better help our members. If you're uncomfortable with people knowing what town you're in, just the country will suffice. Thanks!

Barbie
kdreymann
Location 1: Berlin

Re: How to feed my Leopard Cactus pl*co

Post by kdreymann »

pmnovak1 wrote:I've recently purchased a leopard cactus pl*co and I'm wondering how I should actually feed it. The site here talks about prawns, mussels, etc. Thats fine, but I'm not sure if I've ever seen him move from his hiding place.
Thanks,
Paul
That's the way they always behave, when they've come into an unknown (new) aquarium. They eat nearly everything, don't worry. But it might take years till they trust in you and come out, while you're around! The bigger they are, the faerless they are......
pmnovak1
Location 1: Chicago, IL

Post by pmnovak1 »

How can I tell if he is eating or not then?
kdreymann
Location 1: Berlin

Post by kdreymann »

pmnovak1 wrote:How can I tell if he is eating or not then?
You can't, but he will!
I keep seven of them from different ages and they all are still alive and well. They eat under cover when they are young.
You may try and get them eating when you use a torch by night..........
Steen
My cats species list: 7 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 2: Denmark _ Copenhagen

Post by Steen »

Hi
I have had this little fella around half a year and I see "him" nearly every time i feed so just be patient. Here he is eating a carnivore pellet but he like red mosqito larvae (and other frozen stuff) even more..

Steen
My cat's: Hypancistrus sp.(L66), H.zebra, Panaque maccus, P.nigrolineatus, Peckoltia sp.(L205?), Synodontis euptera, Pseudacanthicus cf. leopardus

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”