Where can I find Starlight Bristlenose?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Allen Myers
Location 1: Jamestown, NY

Where can I find Starlight Bristlenose?

Post by Allen Myers »

I've checked every LFS within a 50 mile radius and also online at Aquabid, but I have had no luck finding Starlight Bristlenose. Does anyone have any for sale or know where I could find some?? Thanks in advance!

Allen
pleco_farmer
I've donated: $50.00!
Location 1: Wash, DC, USA

Post by pleco_farmer »

There are three on aquabid right now.
durk04
Location 1: Indiana

Post by durk04 »

The guy on selling them on aquabid is a really cool guy. His name is Steve, I have bought from him several times and it has always went smooth. He is a really good guy and I do recommend buying from him.
Allen Myers

Post by Allen Myers »

Thanks for the help guys! I'll check the auction out.

Allen
Allen Myers

Post by Allen Myers »

Durk,

I hooked up with Steve and got seven (7) Starlight BN (L-182) from him. I've attached a picture of two of them hanging upside down on a piece of driftwood. They are in "top-notch" shape. Thanks for the lead.

Regards,

Allen

durk04

Post by durk04 »

Allen,

No problem man. I am just glad I could help you out and get you some quality fish at a good price. I know how frustrating it is looking for a certain fish and nobody really helps you out and you always end up paying big bucks for poor quality fish. Hope you enjoy your fish. Are these your first bristlenose plecos?

Derek
Allen Myers

Post by Allen Myers »

Derek,

I also have some albino bristlenose that are breeding like mad and the babies are eating like crazy. And I have some clown pl*cos that I would love to be able to breed someday, are these difficult? I'm picking up some L-333's tomorrow. I have the "Pl*co Addiction"!

Attahed is a picture of some three week free-swimming bn babies (about 3/4" in total length) shredding a slice of zucchini. I hope the Starlights breed as easily as the albinos. Thanks again.

Allen

kkorotev
I've donated: $50.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 19
Spotted: 11
Location 1: Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post by kkorotev »

I am the guy that actually sold Steve his original breeders a few years ago and at the time, we had quite a few common names to choose from. The fish is now considered to be Ancistrus punctatus. You can tell for sure if this is your fish by looking at the base of the first and second dorsal fin rays. The membrane on and around them will be somewhat darker. It will look like a spot or a smudge.
The fish will take a few years to mature to breeding size/age. They need clean water, but the chemistry is not as important. They do some wood grazing.

Yes, when the time comes, tank bred L182 breed in the same manner and regularity as other common Ancistrus.

That is my opinion
I am often wrong.
Kevin Korotev
durk04

Post by durk04 »

Good looking stuff Allen. Those fry look pretty good and they are swarming that piece of zuccinni lol. Do you also sell fry and stuff?
Allen Myers

Post by Allen Myers »

Kevin,
Thanks for the detailed info and history on the Starlights. Sounds like I have some waiting to do until they are mature enough to breed :(

Derek,
Right now I only have Albino Bristlenose babies. My pair is on their 3rd batch of eggs now in a little over nine weeks. The ones in the picture are 3/4" long and are eating everything in sight. They should be ready to ship out very soon. I was going to list them at Aquabid within the next week or so. Let me know if you are interested in any. Thanks for inquiring.

Allen

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”