have my corys eggs hatched?????

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
mermaid
Location 1: Huntingdon, Cambs UK
Interests: bristlenose catfish,royal plecs

have my corys eggs hatched?????

Post by mermaid »

Can someone help me, I saved a bunch of eggs four days ago which were on the side of my tank that my cory laid, and so they didnt get eaten by my loaches I put them in a fish net and turned the aeration up on my filter and let me sit submerged in the net at the top of the tank, this morning I have noticed about four tiny little specs, well to me they look like little wood splinter but are too tiny to see if they are moving, can these be the babies I have no idea what they look like as I havent managed yet to hatch any. I have put 2 drops of liguifry into the net this morning, there are still eggs there but am not sure whether to take them out incase the rot and take the babies (if they are the babies) with them.

Please help.

Jo
Catfish, what a perfect creation
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

Post by corybreed »

If the Cory eggs have hatched you have to wait 3 to 4 days for the yolk sacks to dissolve before you start feeding. It sounds like you have Cory fry. If the eggs that have not hatched are milky in color they can be removed.

Mark
silvernes
Location 1: Toronto Baby!

Post by silvernes »

mine are albinos but they come out looking like little pink disks with stick-tails :D

Nes.
mermaid

Post by mermaid »

Mine just look like little wood splinters!!!, is this right???, I need some help, I have bought a net breeding thing that hangs on the side of the tank and I need to transfer whats in the fishing net into the net breeder, how can i do this without taking the fishing net out of the water and harming any of the babies.

Help!!!!
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

If yo submerge the breeder net below the surface and then put the catching net into it, bring the breeder net back to the surface and attach it to the side of the tank, I presume it is the type that has thin stainless steel straps that can be bent over the side of the tank. Then just invert the catching net and then gently turn it inside out to release the Cory fry into the breeder net. Do not feed anything until you can see that the fry have consumed the contents of their yoke sac. Do not feed with liqifry firstly it with just pass through the net and besides it is to small for Cory fry, they need something a little more substantial such as micro worm, brine shrimp or pre-soaked finely powdered flake.

Ian
mermaid

Post by mermaid »

Thank you so much, will give it a go.

Jo
mermaid

Post by mermaid »

I have done what you said and have seen about 5 tiny little brown splinters, cant tell if they move though as they are too small but not small enough to not be seen, I have taken out some eggs that were still there that had gone while and furry, and I have put in a little shrimp brine. How much should I feed them and how many times a day??.

Wish me luck

Jo
corybreed
Expert

Post by corybreed »

If you are feeding baby brine shrimp the fry will be pink in color. You will be sble to tell if the fry are eating by the color of their stomachs. Use a magnifing glass to see if the yolk sacks have dissolved. The fry will not eat until completely dissolved. If you are feeding through the net breeder and the excess escapes into the tank you can feed twice a day if you like.

Mark
mermaid

Post by mermaid »

Great thank you, cant wait now getting excited, my first hatch

Jo
mermaid

Post by mermaid »

Mark need some food advice, I looked in the net breeder this morning and all the little brown splinters (thats how I see them!!!LOL) have gathered onto the shrimp brine that I put in there yesterday, the thing is there is still a bit left, do I leave it there and feed again once they have eaten it all or do I take it out, if I take it out how do i do it without taking the little fry with it as they are so tiny and will stick to it??

Thank you in advance

Jo
corybreed
Expert

Post by corybreed »

Jo,
You can use an eye dropper or small turkey baster to remove the excess food. Are you feeding baby brine shrimp?
If so, live or frozen?

Mark
mermaid

Post by mermaid »

Frozen, I have a problem though I cant see them, I got a magnifying glass, the brown splinters are still there but I can seem to see them as fry, could I be mistaken and it just be brown algae of something!!!!
corybreed
Expert

Post by corybreed »

Jo,
You really should be able to determine by now if you have fry. Are the brown splinters as you call them moving around?

Mark
mermaid

Post by mermaid »

They dont move when I watch them but if I go back and look they are in different places, but that could just be the water moving??, feel really disappointed if they are gone!!!
silvernes
Location 1: Toronto Baby!

Post by silvernes »

I'm alittle confused are they in an acrylic container or in an actual net? They could easily slip thru the netting.

Cory fry are quite hardy actually, my first spawn I'd thought I'd lost them because the acrylic breeder they were in was run-over by algea, I dumped the water into another tank, later in the week I used that same tank for heating indivdual betta cups togther.

About 2 weeks after this had all happend I was changing the bettas water when I noticed my first little pink-dot. I scooped out about 7 all together & this became the first spawn I've raised :). They are actually pretty hardy when it comes down to it :lol:

Nes.
mermaid

Post by mermaid »

Hi they are in a breeding net that hangs over the side of the tank, so the holes are very tiny. I took the net out last night and had a good look with my magnifying glass and there was nothing there, so I feel really stupid thinking that I had fry, maybe I did and they escaped. What do you suggest for my next attempt, should I put the eggs into an icecream box?, then how do I heat the water??

Really disappointed
Allan
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Denmark
Interests: Catfish, mostly corys.

Post by Allan »

Just some inspiration to how you could heat the water. I use a waterbath, same style as when you melt chocolate. Also, this keeps the watertemp from jumping up and down.

And heres a poor pic of the fry, that I could not help to include:

Good luck
Allan

Edit: pics didn't work, had to find another server
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

You could simply float the plastic container in the main tank and add an air stone.

Ian
mermaid

Post by mermaid »

Thank you, your fry are beautiful, your so lucky.

I will have to wait until they spawn again, I have 2 females and 3 males in my tank, and when the spawn I have to be quick to get the eggs out as the clown loaches come behind them and eat them up as soon as they are laid, hopefully I will do better next time. When I add methylane blue how many drops should I put in the container?? (ice cream box)

Jo

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”