How old do coys have to be....

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
mermaid
Location 1: Huntingdon, Cambs UK
Interests: bristlenose catfish,royal plecs

How old do coys have to be....

Post by mermaid »

How old do Corys have to be before they can go to new homes?? As I have a friend who would like to give a home to my new borns once they are bigger, but being its my first hatch I dont know how old they have to be?

Jo
Catfish, what a perfect creation
silvernes
Location 1: Toronto Baby!

Post by silvernes »

3 months is a good age if your thinking about selling them to a petstore (though hanging on to them till they are a bit older will improve their survival rate - and you'll get more money for them :)).

But if your friend knows what she's doing there is no reason not to send her some after they are about a month old. The only reason being that if she lives far away their might be slight changes in the water parameters that if not transfered slowly & carefully could upset the cory. If she lives close you could give her eggs if you wanted :D

Corys grow very slowly even by 3 months they may only be 1" big (partly depends on what temperature you raise them at).

Nes.
mermaid
Location 1: Huntingdon, Cambs UK
Interests: bristlenose catfish,royal plecs

Post by mermaid »

Thank you, I have never sold to a pet shop before as this is my first hatch (am really proud after months of trying)

How do I go about selling my babies once they are old enough, obviously my friend wont want every one that I hatch.

Jo
Catfish, what a perfect creation
PlecoCrazy
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 42 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:92)
Location 1: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Location 2: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Interests: Fish, Fishing, Computers, Golf, Video Games

Post by PlecoCrazy »

If you talk to your LFS they will probably allow you to trade in your baby cories for store credit or swap for some other fish.

You could also take the fish with you to the next fish convention you go to and sell them in the auction.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”