sexing peckoltia

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
davidkozak
I've donated: $30.00!
My images: 5
Spotted: 3
Location 2: Wpg

sexing peckoltia

Post by davidkozak »

If sexing a L134 peckoltia can be done by looking for the "hair" on it's back half,(I've checked this out with MY L134, some have the hair and some that look gravid, don't have the hair) would it seem logical that the same could be done for L006, which is also a peckoltia?? If the L006 are pretty much full grown, is there a chance they would perhaps NOT have that hair?? David
lisa23
Location 1: east yorkshire,UK

Post by lisa23 »

Hi

sexing of peckoltia Sp is pretty much the same. Males have the odontodes (hairs) on the pectoral fin rays and rear half of the body,females do not,but females look much broader than the males when viewed from above.
I doubt they loose the hairs as they age,i believe it becomes more noticable in adults.

Cheers
lisa
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

I went down after we talked last night and looked David. The one in the cave has a few very fine hairs on it's tail, but I'm still not sure which sex it is! I guess we'll see if they ever figure out how to get this reproduction thing going or I'll be shopping for a male to go with my 5 big fat females! ;)

Barbie
Pandadosmares
My images: 6
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Portugal

Post by Pandadosmares »

Hope this helps, this is my couple

Female??

Male
Save Nature, Recycle
davidkozak
I've donated: $30.00!
My images: 5
Spotted: 3
Location 2: Wpg

Post by davidkozak »

Hey Barbie, the reason I ask is I can see the difference with the L134, but with the L006 I don't see any difference...I think perhaps I'm in the same boat as you and have 4 L006 females...:( David
Walter
My cats species list: 38 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Vienna, Austria
Location 2: Vienna, Austria

Re: sexing peckoltia

Post by Walter »

Hi,
davidkozak wrote: If the L006 are pretty much full grown, is there a chance they would perhaps NOT have that hair?? David
yes, there is any chance.
If they have got the "hair", they are males, but if not, they can be males or females.
I am breeding L 134 now for three years, and I cannot sex my L 134 for sure, if they do not hatch. It seems, that some specimen loose their caudal odontodes if not breeding.
-
Spring 2004 I wanted to make an exchange with a friend of mine - she wantet a female, I said, ok, male for me, female for you.
I chosed a specimen I was sure of "being a female", examing and even touching the caudal part for "stubbles", and finally was sure to have a F1 female with about 2,5 years of age.
She workes at a big Viennese fish dealer, so knowing "about the thing", and had a look at the fish - "for sure a female", her boss, also knowing "about the thing" (and trying to spawn L 134 without success ;) for years) took a look - "for sure a female"...
Four weeks later she called me: "Ey, your femal has got stubbles" :lol: - her male was already hatching eggs at this time in a tank of mine ;)

So don´t be sure - the thing with the more corpulent females does not work for sure, either...
Pandadosmares

Post by Pandadosmares »

My suposed female never got hairs "she" been with me longer than my male, do you think shes really a female?

What is the trigger you use to breed the L134?

The more i look the more doubts come to me :cry:
Save Nature, Recycle
Walter

Post by Walter »

Hi,
trigger?
Hmm, for first time getting the L 134 to breed, it´s useful to lower conductifity and pH if the fish are wild caught...
Caves, wood, no disturbance... and waiting ;)
I´ve tried for nearly two years before I had success for the first time, ... so patience is another important character in breeding some kind of plecos 8)
Walter

Post by Walter »

Hi again,
of course the chances to have success raise, if you have got a group and not only a single pair of supposed both sexes...
I have kept 6 specimen in a tank with about 150 litres in the beginning.
Pandadosmares

Post by Pandadosmares »

I have also a group of six in a 180L aquarium, but the one i shown are the biggest of the group
Save Nature, Recycle
saradora
Location 1: PA
Interests: Plecos!

Post by saradora »

I purchased 2 peckolitas several months ago (they look like L009 but are very big; I am not sure if they are, need some pictures to post). Anyways, I was trying to buy several of them to breed. I have one with huge spines all over its body (It always sits in a cave and when it is backlit, this fish looks like a porcupine. It has huge cheek and tail spines, short spines all over its body and long spines all over its rear body). I bought another one of the same fish that I thought was a female. It was big and chubby from all angles and had no spines anywhere on it (both of these fish are about 6" long, so I assume they should be sexually mature by this stage). About a month after I brought it home, it grew a ton of spines along the back half of its body and its tail. It isn't nearly as spiny as the other one, but still too spiny to be a female, I think.
These peckolitas confuse me!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”