Synodontis eupterus acting very weird

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
pmnovak1
Location 1: Chicago, IL

Synodontis eupterus acting very weird

Post by pmnovak1 »

I have a Synodontis eupterus who is about 1 year old. He's about 4-5" long and has done excellent in my 55 gallon tank.

Over the last 2 weeks he has really started acting strange. His breathing has become VERY rapid, much more so that any of the other fish in the tank. I've also noticed that it looks like he is getting skinnier. His stomach was a little sunken yesterday. He also has been swimming veritcal along the sides of the tank and has been putting his nose right up against the top of the waterline.

The water is getting plenty of movement though, so I don't think its not a lack of oxygen. All of the tests I've done on the water are normal. I'm running the temp at about 77 degrees Celcius. I'm feeding the fish once per day.

The other fish I have are in great condition. Their breathing seems normal. He looks fine other than that. There is no other sign of distress or disease.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul
PlecoCrazy
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 42 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:92)
Location 1: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Location 2: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Interests: Fish, Fishing, Computers, Golf, Video Games

Post by PlecoCrazy »

Is he getting enough to eat? What have you been feeding him? How often do you do water changes and when was the last time you did one?
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

Is he getting enough to eat?
I will add to this "when" do you feed him?

Also what other fish are in with him?

Birger
pmnovak1

Feeding and other fish

Post by pmnovak1 »

I feed the fish once at night before I go to bed. After I put the food in, I turn off the lights. This is what I've been doing for the last year and haven't had problems.

With regard to water changes, I change the water about every other week.

For other fish, he lives in a 55 gallon with the following:
- 1 Angel
- 3 Silver Dollars
- 1 4-lined cat
- 1 Parrot Cichlid
- 1 Peacock Eel
- 2 small plecos
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

To start
I change the water about every other week.
you do not sound to sure here,partial changes weekly would be much better.

You have a bit of a mix of fish ,maybe rethink what you want to keep especially the parrot thingy.(personal taste here)

As for the syno(hope he is still with you) he is getting bigger(still growing)and may not be getting enough food before the other fish gobble it down,ideally you could also tranfer him to another tank and see how he recuperates without competition.
I would keep an eye on the pleco's as well to make sure they are getting enough.

It wasn't mentioned before but make sure you have some hiding places as well.

Birger
pmnovak1

Thanks

Post by pmnovak1 »

I'll try feeding more. Maybe try twice per day for a while and see if that helps.

With regards to the mix of fish, I actually like having the different kinds and colors of fish. My wife really likes the "Parrot Thingy" so I'm not sure if I have much choice there. :-)
Hally
Location 1: Sydney, Australia
Interests: Aquariums & Drag-Racing

Post by Hally »

Hi pmnovak1 ... I'm sure you meant to say 77 farenheit LOL other wise you'd have cooked the poor guys ... I have 2 big Synodontis Eupterus myself & let me tell you one thing that puts my guys into a feeding frenzy ...Frozen Beef Heart, raw & minced super fine.. wash it first to remove most of the juices that may polute your water slightly & of course thaws it out ... Good Luck
Bye For Now
___Steve___
fishysmell
Location 1: buffalo ny
Interests: fish

Post by fishysmell »

ur fish has a parasite of some sort

he has a rapid gill rate correct???
sunken body and eyes????

also has he been itching himself on rocks and things at all???
DELETED
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)

virus

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
troi
I've donated: $65.00!
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Northwest New Mexico, USA

Post by troi »

To recap, does this fish have several hiding places?

Have you added new fish lately? maybe someone who might be carrying parasites or who might be harrassing him?

Are you feeding sinking,floating or a combination of food?

IMHO, the fish should be watched closely. If you have had him a year without trouble and there are no new fish (or now thieving plec who recently came of territorial age) he probalby is lonely and hungry. But, if you can, isolate him and watch him.

My S. Eurpterus did well on a combination of sinking large fish pellets and a bit of flake. These guys get pretty big and grow fast. My guess is that the fish is being harrased and out competed for food.

troi
troi

Re: Synodontis eupterus acting very weird

Post by troi »

pmnovak1 wrote: Over the last 2 weeks he has really started acting strange. His breathing has become VERY rapid, much more so that any of the other fish in the tank. I've also noticed that it looks like he is getting skinnier. His stomach was a little sunken yesterday. He also has been swimming veritcal along the sides of the tank and has been putting his nose right up against the top of the waterline.

Paul
This really does sound like parasites or lack of oxygen. OR fear. Is the parrot Cichlid new by any chance? What exactly is plenty of water movement? And how much water do you change at a time? With catfish, I like 20% a week.

See if he responds to floating food during the day.

troi
eupterus
Location 1: Essex uk
Interests: Livebearers, corys and L numbers

Post by eupterus »

Fear doesnt sound likely and speaking as a parasitologist, parasites would need a means of entering the tank, Have you recently put any live food, new fish or rain water into the tank, if not the chances of a parasite is low. The bloated belly and fast breathing would not indicate a single parasite anyway. Gut parasites would affect the stomach and not the breathing and visa versa. Internal parasites are extremely site specific. Isolation sounds good along with worm based diet. Frozen is probably best, keep an eye. let us know of any new additions or live food entries recently , it may help.
Eupterus.

C. hastatus - habrosus - pygmaeus - aeneus - duplicareus - axelrodi - panda - trilineatus - napoensis - delphax - melini - paleatus - barbatus - concolor - robinae -seussi - reynoldsi - septentrionalis - arcuatus - C57 "nordestini" - guapore - aeneus "black" - C131
troi

Post by troi »

eupterus wrote:The bloated belly and fast breathing would not indicate a single parasite anyway. Gut parasites would affect the stomach and not the breathing
We don't know if there are new fish yet or not. Gill parasites or ich both make for fast breathing and a fondness for the surface. The sunken belly is either a fish that is not eating cause it is uncomfortable in other ways, harrassed, out competed, not given enough or just plain scared; or parasites, which do need a way to get in, as you pinted out.

In my experience, synos go into fast breathing easily. They get nervous over water changes, other fish, breeding hormones, being startled, no place to hide, light changes. When they are nervous, they "pant" for a while. Low O2 can do it, I guess, but I would go for either parasites or nervousness.
It sounds to me like a change in behavior on the part of one of the other fish in the tank, or a new fish.

troi
eupterus
Location 1: Essex uk
Interests: Livebearers, corys and L numbers

Post by eupterus »

I agree that the sunken belly is v likely to be food related ie lack of it. To get clues we really need for him to answer whether new fish or live food has been added. Oxygen levels may be low as you suggested, this could easilt be remedied witha slight drop in temp to 24-25 degree c and a good airstone or venturi powerhead
Eupterus.

C. hastatus - habrosus - pygmaeus - aeneus - duplicareus - axelrodi - panda - trilineatus - napoensis - delphax - melini - paleatus - barbatus - concolor - robinae -seussi - reynoldsi - septentrionalis - arcuatus - C57 "nordestini" - guapore - aeneus "black" - C131

Return to “African Catfishes”