Corydoras sp. San Juan??

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
SanDiegoFishes
Location 1: San Diego, California USA
Interests: Fish! Corydoras, dwarf plecos, Farlowellas, livebearers,apistogrammas, angelfish,snails, plants,rainbows, and pretty much everything else!

Corydoras sp. San Juan??

Post by SanDiegoFishes »

Yesterday I found some cute little cories in a local fish store that were listed as :Corydoras sp. San Juan. Anyone ever heard of them?
Thanks!
I currently have 25+ tanks, ranging in size from 10 gallons to 240 gallons. Also, 6 above ground ponds outside. Raise many species of fish, including corydoras, farlowella's, L number plecos, bushynoses, etc. Catfish RULE!!
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

These are what are commonly called.
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

With this one I would like to see a picture before I committed myself, C. bilineatus are definitely not the so-called "San juan" that We see here in the UK.

Ian
oneoddfish
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: detroit,michigan
Interests: large cats-odd balls-I also breed alot of different african cichlid. but my favorite thing is collecting RARE or very hard to obtain fish...

san juan ?

Post by oneoddfish »

I also found a tank full at my local wholesaler here in the detroit area.Im not sure there c. bilineatus. but then Im far from a expert at iding corys I will try to post opic. if I can but I put them in my 240 gal. and they can be hard to find in there with all the wood and rocks...
what's the matter?---cat got you'r tongue.

Jerry L Brown
SanDiegoFishes
Interests: Fish! Corydoras, dwarf plecos, Farlowellas, livebearers,apistogrammas, angelfish,snails, plants,rainbows, and pretty much everything else!

Post by SanDiegoFishes »

Coryman wrote:With this one I would like to see a picture before I committed myself, C. bilineatus are definitely not the so-called "San juan" that We see here in the UK.

Ian
Hi Ian,
Here is a PIC, let me know what you think, thanks!
Best, Barb

I currently have 25+ tanks, ranging in size from 10 gallons to 240 gallons. Also, 6 above ground ponds outside. Raise many species of fish, including corydoras, farlowella's, L number plecos, bushynoses, etc. Catfish RULE!!
SanDiegoFishes

Post by SanDiegoFishes »

Silurus wrote:These are what are commonly called.
It sure looks like the C. bilineatus pic Silurus! I put the pics side by side and it appears to be a match.
Got these little guys for $3.99 US each too :)
Barb
PS THANKS :)
Coryman
Expert

Post by Coryman »

Now I see them, they are what I expected, but not what I would say were C. bilineatus. There are a number of species within the so called "Elegans" group that look similar, C . napoensis from Peru, C .bilineatus from Bolivia. C. elegans from Brazil and a few C numbers. C123, C126, C132. They are all a little difficult to ID without locality details. Two questions, what size are they (body length) and is there any colour in the fins?

Ian
SanDiegoFishes

Post by SanDiegoFishes »

Hi Ian,
Most of them are almost exactly one inch from tip of nose to end of tail, and all fins appear clear except for the slightest black tint in the first ray of the dorsal fins. When I shine a light directly on them from the side, they have a slight green cast on the lower 1/2 of their sides (ever so subtle)
Barb
They are also extremely active, continually in motion.
Coryman
Expert

Post by Coryman »

These are, at one inch, most certainly juveniles and as such their colour pattern will change as they grow and mature. They may resemble C. bilineatus but unless they were collected in Bolivia they are not. They in fact turn out to be the more readily available C. napoensis from Peru, when they grow out and mature.

Ian
SanDiegoFishes

Post by SanDiegoFishes »

Hi Ian,
Hmmm..the mystery deepens, big grin! I have some young Napoensis that were bred by a good friend of mine, they are about the same size as these possible "San Juan" guys. There is a definite difference in coloring between the two. The "San Juan" corys have an almost triangle patch of white right on top of their heads in front of the dorsal fin. My "napoensis" juvies do not show this white patch at all.
Any ideas on whether the white triangle is significant or not?
I tried to grab a PIC of it, but dang it, these little guys are FAST!!!
Best, Barb

Here is the best back shot I could grab.

Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

I recall a few years ago reading an article statting that C. "San Juan" was very similar to C. latus and could well be it...

Any thought
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
AngJo
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: NC
Interests: Fish/Snails/Plants

Post by AngJo »

Hey Barb,

I brought home one of those lil fellows the other day! When he was introduced to the tank and colored up he looks just like yours. I also bought some of the Delphax from the same store about 6 months ago! Looks like we shop at the same place! :razz:

Beautiful lil cories!
Ang
metallhd
Location 1: Edmonton Alberta Canada

Post by metallhd »

for my two cents, they look a lot like my c. elegans, I will try to get a picture but they are a bit reclusive . . .
The toil of all that be helps not the primal fault
it rains into the sea, and still the sea is salt

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”