Updated pics of my cats

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
TiGrInUs
Location 1: USA

Updated pics of my cats

Post by TiGrInUs »

Juruense

Image an old one, but good one :(
bunjiweb
Location 1: Cheltenham, ENG

Post by bunjiweb »

wow that tank is truly huge!!! how many gallons is it? Any "full" tank shots?

Ben
>> http://www.coral-frags.co.uk <<
Feel free to visit me at The Pets At Home Cheltenham Aquatic Centre, Gloucestershire, England
pictus_man_77
Location 1: bromsgrove, Worcester Birmingham, U.K.

Post by pictus_man_77 »

that truly is a magnificent tank!!!were did you bt that?or is it a custom?way to go on those TSNs aswell they look really healthy and happy
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

pictus_man_77, those fish aren't tiger shovelnoses. they're a similar (ish) species called Brachyplatystoma juruense. they're my favourite pimelodid i think.

they also don't get anywhere near as large as the TNS, making them much more suitable for the large home aquaria.

there are some more photos in the cat-elog.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/pi ... /566_f.php
fishmadbarry
Location 1: Essex/England

Post by fishmadbarry »

Hello,
Have just asked on another thread, do you think a 6x3x3 would be large enough for my Jureunse when its adult?
It is about 6inch sl at the moment and quite happily housed with discus. It doesn't seem to mind the warm water or the pH 6.5. Its light bars are not very drfined but I put that down to to very dark water (*lots of tanning from bog woods :D , I dont understand why crystal clear water is so desirable). It gets ro water change twice a week and doesn't touch the discus. It does give my gibbi grief though.
Barry
What does a Chav and a Slinky have in common?

They are both great fun to watch fall down stairs.
Lied
Location 1: Zoetermeer, The Netherlands
Interests: My fish ofcourse, and meeting people, making new friends!^-^

Post by Lied »

WOOW nice fish!!! :D jealous...
Dit versta je niet he neehee!
pictus_man_77

Post by pictus_man_77 »

thanks racoll.Its a beautifull tank
if i had one i could get about 7 pictus in and leave them so they would have lots of roaming space
or a RTC..........jus kiddin i maybe young but im not dumb!!!
TiGrInUs

Post by TiGrInUs »

wow I forgot I posted this. I love these fish, thanks for the compliments all.
TiGrInUs

Post by TiGrInUs »

pictus_man_77 wrote:that truly is a magnificent tank!!!were did you bt that?or is it a custom?way to go on those TSNs aswell they look really healthy and happy
Thanks!! The last pic I beleive you are refereing too? It is only a standard 180gallon. 6ftx2ftx2ft. I guess the angle just makes it look bigger. That tank is no longer set up. Yeah I havent had TSN's for awhile :lol: ...the fish you see there are either Merodontodus tigrinus or Brachyplatystoma juruense.
Last edited by TiGrInUs on 31 May 2005, 20:38, edited 2 times in total.
TiGrInUs

Post by TiGrInUs »

fishmadbarry wrote:Hello,
Have just asked on another thread, do you think a 6x3x3 would be large enough for my Jureunse when its adult?
It is about 6inch sl at the moment and quite happily housed with discus. It doesn't seem to mind the warm water or the pH 6.5. Its light bars are not very drfined but I put that down to to very dark water (*lots of tanning from bog woods :D , I dont understand why crystal clear water is so desirable). It gets ro water change twice a week and doesn't touch the discus. It does give my gibbi grief though.
Barry
If you mean 6ftx3ftx3ft I would say that is a pretty nice sized tank for juruense! It is very cool that you are keeping your juruense with discus,,they wont be very compatible too much longer though!! Juruense prefer the lower pH so your water is ideal! The amazonian look is the way to go! Also be careful with RO units,,,they could do some damage to the pH(lower it wayyy to much).
TiGrInUs

Post by TiGrInUs »

some more old pics since you all liked the first ones.

i dont have any of these fish anymore.
Durlänger
Location 1: near Biel/Bienne
Location 2: helvetia

Post by Durlänger »

greath catfish`s :D :D :D
:cry: Why don`t you have them now :?:
TiGrInUs

Post by TiGrInUs »

too many reasons,,,i sold most,and some died. :(
Pimbuddy
Location 1: Miami
Interests: Surfing, ocean, fish

Post by Pimbuddy »

Brachyplatystoma juruense is a great looking fish. Is it true that is pnly gets about 2 feet. I've never seen them for sale at the local shops that sell RTC and Tiger Shovelnose. Are they excessively rare? Wonderful pictures by the way and great tank. I like the black sand as well, nice touch.
pictus_man_77

Post by pictus_man_77 »

that is one hell of a cool stingray!!!!
how big would a tank have to be to hold one of those comfortably?? how big was your tank then??
and nice pics of that tank!! the one with the tree stuff in!! its seriously cool
kev
Location 1: Lancashire
Interests: Catfish and Stingray's

Post by kev »

i have a 14" Jurense in with my 3 Leopoldi's :D .When i turn the light's on in the mornin he start's swimming around waiting for prawn's, if i feed them during the day as soon as the prawn's hit the water he's up to the top munching :lol: .

Kev
Put me dinner in the oven, im off to the Xingu!!!.
TiGrInUs

Post by TiGrInUs »

Pimbuddy wrote:Brachyplatystoma juruense is a great looking fish. Is it true that is pnly gets about 2 feet. I've never seen them for sale at the local shops that sell RTC and Tiger Shovelnose. Are they excessively rare? Wonderful pictures by the way and great tank. I like the black sand as well, nice touch.
They arent too rare, especially in miami. I have a freind in miami that keeps MANY of the big cats. He is a member of this site. His member name is "katfishguy". If you really want a juruense im sure he can get one for you. Let me know, and ill let him know. thanks for the comps

oh yeah, juruense can get over two feet. Like 30" or so. It is not common too even see a 2ft specimen in captivity though. I would say on average 2ft.
Last edited by TiGrInUs on 26 Jun 2005, 01:51, edited 1 time in total.
TiGrInUs

Post by TiGrInUs »

pictus_man_77 wrote:that is one hell of a cool stingray!!!!
how big would a tank have to be to hold one of those comfortably?? how big was your tank then??
and nice pics of that tank!! the one with the tree stuff in!! its seriously cool
The tank holding the rays was a 180g. The black and white spotted ray(P. leopoldi) can reach up to 30" in diam! They grow pretty slow and a 180g will be able to house one for a couple of years. Rays need ALOT of filteration and will eat tons of food. If you want to buy a ray I recomend you read this book first... http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=507846

This book isnt all you need to know, but it will answer many questions. I'll answer any questions you have about the freshwater rays,,,just send me a pm. hah and thanks for the kind words!
TiGrInUs

Post by TiGrInUs »

kev wrote:i have a 14" Jurense in with my 3 Leopoldi's :D .When i turn the light's on in the mornin he start's swimming around waiting for prawn's, if i feed them during the day as soon as the prawn's hit the water he's up to the top munching :lol: .

Kev

Hey! That is one active juruense! I feed mine right after I turn the lights out or else the silver dollars would eat all the food! 3 leos?? man that must be an awesome tank! Do you have any pictures?
kev

Post by kev »

im having a tank redecorating day 2day so i'll take some pic's as i go :D . I have to change thing's around cos i have a 10" L330 and he fight's with the Jurense every night, so my Jurense never look's as good as the one you had :( , but he's happy all the same :D .

Kev
kev

Post by kev »

had a chang around 2day, here's a few pic's.
Imagehere's the Jurense

and here's the big guy, he's about 16" :!:

Kev
TiGrInUs

Post by TiGrInUs »

OH MAN!!! That tank is so nice! Seems like you have the same taste in fish as I do. All your leos have very nice looking patterns.

What do you filter that with?? 3 rays make a lot of mess!
kev

Post by kev »

the filter is home made, the water drain's out of the tank by 2x 2" strainer's and on to pond filter sponges (42"x21") and underneath them are bio ball's. And then the water goes through the other side of the sump and get's pumped back up to the top. The other side of the sump is for stingray pup's when they come along :D .

Kev
kev

Post by kev »

sorry i forget to say that the tank is 60"x48"x30" and the sump is 52"x42"x26" :D .

Kev
TiGrInUs

Post by TiGrInUs »

excellent :D

some more pics,,,kind of old. Ill have more when i transfer into the new tank.

their new tank

kev

Post by kev »

very nice tank they are going into :D . You should put a Leo in their too, cos that's very much what the Rio Xingu river bed look's like. I went collecting in Brazil last year and collected some Leo's and pleco's out of the Xingu.

Kev
TiGrInUs

Post by TiGrInUs »

That is funny you say that...i had plans for a leo. I don't have the correct filteration or money to get a leo now though. I just graduated high school, and about to enter college. Money is going to be low. Someday I will make it too brazil. Have any pics of your collecting trip?? :D That is my dream vacation.
kev

Post by kev »

this is where you will find a golden nugget under every rock :shock: and every so often Leopoldi's :D .
the fisherman caught this with his tee shirt
enjoy :D

Kev
Rense
Location 1: Lelystad, the netherlands
Interests: catfish ofcourse :D And the other fish from lake tanganyika

Post by Rense »

wow! that's one great fish TiGrInUs! Too bad they grow out to be so BIG... :wink:
TiGrInUs

Post by TiGrInUs »

Thanks Rense! They don't get too big,,, :D compared to the other giants atleast.

kev, amazing pictures! So what do you do with the fish you collect? I cant even imagine how fun it would be to collect leopoldi! thanks for posting those pics,,,i enjoyed them.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”