Just saying hi

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
catfeather
Location 1: Canada

Just saying hi

Post by catfeather »

Hi there,
In case you couldn't tell, I'm new here. I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself a little.
My name is Heather and I live in Edmonton Alberta, Canada.
That's a little right? hehe.
The reason I joined this group is because I want to learn more about catfishes before I buy one.
I've always liked the way they look, and their habits, but the only kind I've ever had is a pleco, and it grew way too big for my tank in one year so I had to give him to someone else.
My other problem is that I have lots of algae in my tank... no matter what I do, how often I clean it. So if I could find a catfish who likes algae, that would be a plus right?

Anyway, I look forward to meeting you guys, talk to you later...

Heather roll1
laurab5
Location 1: kANSAS

Post by laurab5 »

Bristlenose pleco's are the best algae eaters in my opinion, and in most people's opinion.
metallhd
Location 1: Edmonton Alberta Canada

Hi

Post by metallhd »

Hi Heather - welcome to the forum! As for algae, is there sunlight hitting your tank? That's a great way to grow algae :D

Do you have live plants? How much/what kind of lights do you have? :?
The toil of all that be helps not the primal fault
it rains into the sea, and still the sea is salt
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Welcome Heather,

There's two ways to combat algae-growth:
-Something that consumes algae will keep the growth down.
-Make the tank "inhospitable for algae".

There are several types of fish (and other creatures) that eat algae. Depending on which type of algae, some will be better than others.
-Some of the 600 or so different species of "pleco" eat algae of some types (mainly green).
-Rosy barbs are good at eating algae, particularly hair algae.
-Siamese algae eater (NOT to be confused with Chinese algae eater). Effective algae eater for most types of algae. The chinese version grows much larger and will attack fish when it gets big.
-Shrimps. There are some types of shrimp that are good at eating algae.
-Snails. Certain types of snails will eat algae, but probably also your plants, and will reproduce like crazy, so probably not such a good idea.

It's obviously your choice which one(s) to go for. There's plenty of reasons to choose one over another, but it does come down to personal preference in the end.

Laura mentioned bristlenose plecos, the Common variety, is easy to find (relatively speakng), and a very good algae eater. It will not eat the hard algae, nor much of hair-algae. Good thing about them is that they are hardy, they can live in just about any water condition, as long as the temperature is around 20-28'C (70-85'F), ideally around 24-26'C (~80'F). They are also relatively easy to breed (guppy's of the catfish, as someone said). Common bristlenoses grow to max 5"(15cm), and you usually find them in the shop at 1-2"(2.5-5cm) in size. If you have a tank of about 50 or more liters (12us gal), this should be an ideal fish for you. If you get two of opposite sex, you can expect to get some babies as long as there is some sort of "cave" for the male (an upside down flowerpot saucer is ideal, if you cut of a portion to one side so that it forms an opening). A piece of wood will also be a nice place for the bristlenoses to hide and chew a little bit.

Another option would be some Otocinclus (and related) specie. These stay much smaller than bristlenoses, less than 2" (5cm). They are a little bit more sensitive than the bristlenoses.

Second method: making the tank inhospitable for algae.
Algae needs two things to grow:
-Light.
-Nutrients.

Take away one, and they don't grow (as much).

If you have sunlight hitting the tank, you should try to shield this out, not only because it causes algae growth, but also because it can cause overheating of the tank. If the tank is lit only by artificial lights, try reducing the time the lights are on by a few hours.

The primary nutrient for algae is Nitrate, which is formed from the waste from the fish. This is removed by two things:
1. Plants. Plants, like algae, use up nitrate to build proteins inside the plant.
2. Water changes. Removing water with high nitrate content and replacing it with lower nitrate level water...

Also, feeding slightly less will cause lower nitrate levels, and thus less algae growth.

--
Mats
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

Hello Heather. Welcome to Planet Catfish! :D I'm so glad you're doing some research. May I ask what size tank you have and what other occupants there are? This information can be very helpful to those trying to help you. :wink:

Return to “Speak Easy”