Feeding Hemisorubim platyrhynchos (spotted shovelnose)

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
buzz763
Location 1: Brooklyn Center,Minnesota

Feeding Hemisorubim platyrhynchos (spotted shovelnose)

Post by buzz763 »

Feeding Hemisorubim platyrhynchos (spotted shovelnose). I have had 2 of these fish for about two weeks now and I am having trouble getting food to them because of more aggressive fish in the tank getting to the feeder fish first. Any suggestions would be helpful.
1 Platydoras costatus, 1 Agamyxis pectinifrons, 2 Pimelodus blochii, 1 Baryancistrus Sp.(L081) 1 Baryancistrus Sp.(L177) 2 Pangasius sutchi,8 Corydoras leopardus,4 Corydoras metae, 4 Corydoras pulcher,12 Corydoras habrosus,6 corydoras sp.cf.aeneus,4 Ancistrus sp(3),4 Parotocinclus jumbo
madf1man
Location 1: houston Tx
Interests: rc hobbies/catfish

Post by madf1man »

I also have a recently new cat that was being run over by other tank mates. I went and bought a 20 long tank and filter system and moved the new guy into it.Now he gets all he can eat and the others in other tank are being fed lighter.Once the new guy becomes the big kid on the block I,ll put him back into other tank.Relatively minor expense and trouble if its a special fish. Mines a Tigrinus thats a priority.They are more layed back compared to the other S.A. cats I,m keeping
catfishcrazy
Location 1: LONDON UK

Post by catfishcrazy »

Hemisorubims will happily accept frozen foods so try feeding a few frozen silver sides or white bait after lights out.
if you believe in reincarnation pray you dont come back as a neon
buzz763
Location 1: Brooklyn Center,Minnesota

Post by buzz763 »

Thanks for the advice. I have tried silversides with other fish before and they wouldn't touch them. Maybe i will try again. Thinking of just getting another tank, I found a 190 gallon corner tank locally that I might buy, and just keep the 2 of them in there by themselves with lots of feeders.
1 Platydoras costatus, 1 Agamyxis pectinifrons, 2 Pimelodus blochii, 1 Baryancistrus Sp.(L081) 1 Baryancistrus Sp.(L177) 2 Pangasius sutchi,8 Corydoras leopardus,4 Corydoras metae, 4 Corydoras pulcher,12 Corydoras habrosus,6 corydoras sp.cf.aeneus,4 Ancistrus sp(3),4 Parotocinclus jumbo
tsnrtc
Location 1: amarillo texas

Post by tsnrtc »

i had a tsn for a while and he liked brine shrimp a lot :wink:

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”