Here,s a tuff pretty fish to id

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
madf1man
Location 1: houston Tx
Interests: rc hobbies/catfish

Here,s a tuff pretty fish to id

Post by madf1man »

Heres a pic of a fish I recieved in the purchase of my new 540 gal catfish tank.It was hard to get a true color photo but this is close.In real life he is a dark blue overall and the spots are a very bright lite blue color. The spots actually glow almost like he has a black lite pointed on him.

Last edited by madf1man on 01 Sep 2005, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Paratilapia polleni
madf1man

Post by madf1man »

Well I guess not to hard to ID.I,ve been searching the net for days and found nothing. I allready have taken your post and used it in search and have some reading to do now. Now for the usual question,s. Is this a unique fish? It appears to be locally here in Houston Texas USA. No one has none what it is and I myself and have been in and out of the fish buiness for years. Please others post general opinions on this guy. Thanks Trey
zenyfish
My cats species list: 15 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Orange County, California, USA
Location 2: Orange County, California, USA

Post by zenyfish »

As are a lot of cichlids from Madagascara, this one's listed as "vulnerable" by IUCN.

http://www.fishbase.org/summary/Species ... fm?id=8786
medaka
Expert
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 5
My images: 66
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:1)
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Runcorn.
Location 2: Cheshire.UK
Interests: Asiancatfish/corys

Post by medaka »

I believe Our friend coelacanth, has some of these.
I ‘Doc I can’t stop singing The Green, Green Grass of Home’
“That sounds like Tom Jones syndrome.
‘Is it common?’
“It’s not unusual.” :YMTONGUE:
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Paratilapia polleni are not that rare in the trade. A quick Google search indicated this species on the stocklists of at least two online dealers.
DeepFriedIctalurus
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Saginaw River basin, US
Interests: anything powered by an internal combustion engine, non-feathered/furred pets, anti-ignorance activism

Post by DeepFriedIctalurus »

Captivating fish aren't they madf1man? Your small spot's quite a nice one!

Not really rare in the hobby, but not all that common either. I have a beautiful pair of them myself that are probably from Wet Thumb Aquatics' stock, which can be seen here & here.

If nobody in your region breeds Paratilapia, it may be from petsmart's supplier because they stock these at their stores every once in a while..
madf1man

Post by madf1man »

Been reading up on them last night and this morn(instead of working!!!) I may hang on to this one and see if I can find some more.It is I have to say the most beautiful fresh water fish I,ve seen.Of course thats personal taste I understand. The dark blue and ultraviolet spots are amazing.Now I need to find someone who has them.
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Looks more likely to be Paratilapia sp "small spots", now saying what origin is certainly a bit difficult...

maybe you shall try to ask the people from Madgroup or the cichlid room companion!

maybe these pictures could help you: http://burnel.club.fr/Photos/Paratilapia_spp.html

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
madf1man

Post by madf1man »

I do believe it to be the small spot by what I have read so far. I have yet to see a photo of one with the head bump like this one though.Not sure if that is an age or sex difference. I have found a local pet store who knows the fish and where he can get them and did indicate that they were uncommon at least for us in the South.The more I learn on this the more I believe I will be keeping a tank that I was getting rid of due to the larger tanks I,m setting up to use for a group of these guys. I hope

Return to “Speak Easy”