Trilineatus <> Julii ?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Elwin
Location 1: USA

Trilineatus <> Julii ?

Post by Elwin »

Is there a good way to tell the difference between c. trilineatus and c. julli ?

The reason I ask is that I constantly see online sellers proclaiming to be selling 'Julie' Cories, but the pics they post sure look like trilineatus to me.

Thanks,
Elwin
Coryologist
I've donated: $200.00!
My images: 11
My cats species list: 70 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Laurel Lake, NJ
Location 2: Laurel Lake, NJ
Interests: Fancy Guppies, Cory Cats, Digital Photography, DV, Triumph Motorcycles

Re: Trilineatus <> Julii ?

Post by Coryologist »

Elwin wrote:Is there a good way to tell the difference between c. trilineatus and c. julli ?

The reason I ask is that I constantly see online sellers proclaiming to be selling 'Julie' Cories, but the pics they post sure look like trilineatus to me.

Thanks,
Elwin
Hi. There are great pictures here on PC and at coryman.com. You are correct. 99% of the fish you see listed as C. julii are, in fact, C. trilineatus. - Frank/Guppyman
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

From what I've read, C.julii are seldom imported anymore. :wink:
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

These are the C.Trilineatus I recently acquired. They were labeled in the LFS as "spotted Cories, possibly Julii."
I had to take the second photo when the lights had just come on. They're active, like the first photo all day long. They've been that way for a solid month now. This is a diligent bunch of limnivores. Not a drop of the brown crud on the glass.
Amanda
snowball
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 47 (i:23, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:16)
My Wishlist: 4
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Sydney
Location 2: Australia
Interests: Plotosidae

Post by snowball »

C. julii have lots of individual spots on their forehead whereals on C. trilineatus they are joined lines & squiggles.

I've not seen any true julii for a long time, those I see sold as such today are all trilineatus. They could well be the same species caught from different parts of the river, maybe the 'julii' are long since fished out?
Starsky
Location 1: Manila
Interests: music, pets, movies, books, food

Post by Starsky »

They're trilineatus alright. I've got four of them in my tank. :D They were mislabeled as "julii", too, but you can easily distinguish them in planetcatfish's cat e-log.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”