The cold, hard facts... (otos)

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
menschenjaeger
Location 1: Phila, PA

The cold, hard facts... (otos)

Post by menschenjaeger »

After a shipment of otos arrives at a store, assuming the store is providing a decent diet, what's a good time to wait before purchasing any? That is to say, how long before the hopeless cases have mostly died off? A shipment of zebras arrived recently at a LFS, and there are quite a few sad-looking specimens, but some healthy-looking ones as well.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Supposedly, it depends on whether you or the shop is quarantining the fish.

If you quarantine your own fish, then I guess you could buy them now. Of course, that's also meaning that you take any losses.

Generally, quarantine should be at least 3-4 weeks. But most shops will sell fish almost immediately, and something a bit rare and popular, like Zebra Oto's are possibly going to sell out before they've been quarantained, and then you end up with "no fish".

If you haven't got a quarantine tank, I'd stay off them for at least a week, preferrably two, and not buy them if they look anything but perfect health at that point.

--
Mats
menschenjaeger
Location 1: Phila, PA

Post by menschenjaeger »

I always quarantine, LFSs never do, with one exception I know of. I COULD buy 10-15 of them, but at $10 a pop, I'd rather wait until the ones that are already in sad shape kick off at the store. Thanks.
snowball
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 47 (i:23, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:16)
My Wishlist: 4
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Sydney
Location 2: Australia
Interests: Plotosidae

Post by snowball »

One of the few lucky things about being an aquarist in Australia is all imported fish must be kept in a certified quarantine facility for two weeks prior to arriving in the LFS.

This generally saves the unwary hobbyist untold trouble, although is by no means foolproof. Not long ago a friend purchased two dozen lemon tetras that had been in the LFS for a week out of quarantine and all appeared healthy. Two weeks after they had been in the tank they succumbed to a mysterious disease (possibly a virus) that simultaneously felled the remaining stock in the LFS.

Anyway good luck with the zebra otos, they are one of the many desirable fish we are unable to import, even though O. vittatus is permitted (and very occasionally P maculicauda).
metallhd
Location 1: Edmonton Alberta Canada

Post by metallhd »

$10 a pop !! ?? :shock:

Where are you shopping?

:oops: my bad, zebras . . . in that case $10 sounds good 8)
The toil of all that be helps not the primal fault
it rains into the sea, and still the sea is salt
pleco_farmer
I've donated: $50.00!
Location 1: Wash, DC, USA

Post by pleco_farmer »

Depends on the store. I just received a batch of L-177, well three live ones along with two now dead ones, who had been starving in the seller's "two-week quarantine". If you don't see them too often, you may wish to snatch up the healthiest now. Quarantine from the wild is much more than just watching the fish for signs of disease. The fish must also be acclimated to life in the tank. If you have confidence in the shop, and their ability to acclimate, and properly feed the fish, then wait. Otherwise, you may just be watching them waste away, which is common among oto's in the LFS.

Of course, I would also keep them separated for a week or two after purchase, regardless of the LFS quarantine. Remember, you will be bringing home whatever may be lurking in the shop as well as anything coming in from the wild.
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

Remember, you will be bringing home whatever may be lurking in the shop as well as anything coming in from the wild.
How true, pleco_farmer. It's amazing any species make it into our homes at all.
pleco_farmer
I've donated: $50.00!
Location 1: Wash, DC, USA

Post by pleco_farmer »

Hey now, don't be so rough...our store is opening soon and we will recommend quarantine even from our "incomparably pristine, germ and parasite-free holding systems".

You can never know what effect moving the fish will have. All sorts of goo and rot are present everywhere in some quantity, the fish simply reach a healthy equilibrium and live with it. Unbalance the equation, and sometimes the diseases and parasites get the upper hand.

So, don't rely on the quarantines of others. Whenever the fish are moved to a significantly different environment, the potential for outbreaks exists.

(Although, I do hear you bronzefry...)

"Snatch those babies up and Q them yourself." :wink:
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

Sorry, mate. Didn't mean it to come out that way. :oops: I know you'll do a stellar job with your new project. I just haven't had the pleasure of seeing a lovely LFS yet.(Emphasis on yet. I always keep hope.) All I seem to do is "rescue" and quarantine. I look forward to seeing pics of your new store. I know you've been working hard to get it up and running. As a small business owner (just me, myself and I) I know it's a tough thing to do. I wish you all the best. :D
Amanda

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”