Which spotted cory is this?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Starsky
Location 1: Manila
Interests: music, pets, movies, books, food

Which spotted cory is this?

Post by Starsky »

The LFS said it's c. leucomelas. But I doubt it. Looks more like ambiacus or agassizi or delphax... I'm not really sure which. I've observed that the slightest difference in spot patterns might mean a different species altogether. I find it very hard to tell them apart. Anyone here has a good eye on these species?

Allan
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Denmark
Interests: Catfish, mostly corys.

Post by Allan »

I think C. ambiacus because of the more pointy snout and the "missing" band over the eye.

But just a wild guess newertheless :)

Kr Allan
Starsky
Location 1: Manila
Interests: music, pets, movies, books, food

Post by Starsky »

Yes, I forgot to mention that besides the spot patterns differentiating one species from another the appearance and length of the snouts might be a factor, too. Thanks for pointing it out. :) One of them might really be ambiacus but the others may be a different species yet.

I got six of these spotted corys and I've noticed that some of them do not have snouts as long as the others. One of the shorter snouted spotted corys even has smaller spots than the rest and has a black band running from top to bottom of its eyes unlike the one in the picture above. Others have well defined spots while others have overlapping spots that look more like a dash. Others have spots closer together than the rest. I will post more pictures as soon as I get them to sit still.

This is quite a concern because I want to try and breed them. :?:

Return to “What is my catfish?”