Corys in a 75 gallon

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Herman63
Location 1: Kentucky, USA

Corys in a 75 gallon

Post by Herman63 »

Was just wondering if the depth of a 75 gallon would be to deep for corys. Thinking about Sterbai....

Herman
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Corys in a 75 gallon

Post by MatsP »

Herman63 wrote:Was just wondering if the depth of a 75 gallon would be to deep for corys. Thinking about Sterbai....

Herman
I'm sure that common US 75-gallon tanks usually have a particular height, but technically, knowing that it's a 75-gallon tank is actually not a good indication of how deep the water would be... So a height of the tank would be appreciated...

--
Mats
Herman63
Location 1: Kentucky, USA

Post by Herman63 »

Sorry the tank is 21 inches deep.

thank you
buzz763
Location 1: Brooklyn Center,Minnesota

The deeper the better

Post by buzz763 »

corys love to swim vertically. I have heard this and seen this in my own tanks. I have a 220 gallon tank with a dozen or so corys in it.
1 Platydoras costatus, 1 Agamyxis pectinifrons, 2 Pimelodus blochii, 1 Baryancistrus Sp.(L081) 1 Baryancistrus Sp.(L177) 2 Pangasius sutchi,8 Corydoras leopardus,4 Corydoras metae, 4 Corydoras pulcher,12 Corydoras habrosus,6 corydoras sp.cf.aeneus,4 Ancistrus sp(3),4 Parotocinclus jumbo
joern
My cats species list: 15 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Oldenburg, Germany

Post by joern »

Hello,

although I do not know the standard size of US-tanks, its seem to be a large tank, somewhat about around 120x50x50 cm or so I guess.

This is a nice cory tank, also for the somewhat larger Cory-species and the Brochis.
best regards
Joern
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

I have 8 Paleatus in a 75 gallon tank. They spent close to 1 year in a 29 gallon before moving one year ago into the 75 gallon tank. Since the move, their behaviors have changed in a few ways. They don't shoal as tightly as they did in a smaller tank. It's also more clear that they like to stake out a territory in this tank. A Peckoltia tried to take up residence in "their" preferred piece of rocks and driftwood. The Paleatus poked at the other species, usually in the tail on a regular basis. I've observed some very organized poking by 2 or 3 Paleatus at a time on a Peckoltia in "their" preferred space. After this poking, the Peckoltia will lash out at the Paleatus. This continued for several weeks until the Peckoltia discovered another piece of driftwood(It was in the tank all along). Now, their poking and lashing is quite seldom. Otos get pushed out of the way. I've also noticed that Paleatus fry survive in this set-up better than the last set-up. I do keep a spare tank handy for Paleatus fry. These are just things I've observed. Please take them with a grain of salt. I'm just a hobbyist. :wink:

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”