L279

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Herman63
Location 1: Kentucky, USA

L279

Post by Herman63 »

Any info on L279?

Thanks, Herman
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

According to DATZ, L279 is an Ancistrus sp. from the Rio Huacamayo in Peru that reaches between 10-12cm.

If anyone knows about what type of river the Huacamayo is, maybe we can get a bit closer to knowing the husbandry requirements of this fish.
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 238
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

This is from Aqualog All L-Numbers:
L279: This rather inconspicuous little (8 to 9 cm) Ansistrus from the Peruvian Rio Huacamayo is regualy imported. It may develop large light grey dots on the grey-brown base. This pattern may also continue into the dorsal fin. The caudal fin has two white tips connected by a very narrow border of the same cotour. The iris is slightly copper-coloured. Females have no bristles around the mouth, while those in males are few and slender, becoming rather longer with age.
The book also says L279 = LDA 58
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

This should help,
http://www.fallingrain.com/world/PE/12/Huacamayo.html
Given the collecting location (and this sp's coloration), it is probably a piedmont Ancistrus and will appreciate cooler water and good O2 levels.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”