Hastatus and spawning mops

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
tjudy
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:115)
Spotted: 24
Location 1: Stoughton, Wisconsin
Interests: aquariums

Hastatus and spawning mops

Post by tjudy »

I am getting a colony of C. hastatus next week. I have kept and bred this species before in a 10 gallon tank with a healthy growth of java moss. I was never happy with the survival rate of fry though... I really thought that I should have been getting for than 1/2 dozen new hastatus every few months.

I want to try using spawning mops instead of java moss. Has anyone done this? My plan is to rotate large mops between the breeder tank and a hatching tank every few days. The system works wonderfully for rainbows... but will a cory use a mop?
Beersnob
Location 1: Royal Oak, Michigan
Interests: Drinking Beer, Brewing Beer, Drinking Mead, Mazing Mead, hiking, Backpacking, fishing, camping, and of cource Catfish!

Post by Beersnob »

I don't know for sure with respect to hastatus since they are "mid-level swimmers" but most cories deposit the eggs on the walls or on plants in the aquarium. Please note that most cories do not go up to the top long enough to use a mop like the killifish and rainbows do.

We normally take the eggs out, add an airstone and go from there. If we don't add the airstone the eggs tend to fungus up.

I hope this assists you..Good Luck and if the Mop works let us know!

Thanks,

Scott
Beersnob

Sooo many Beers, So little time!

How many Catfish are in your Tank?
tjudy
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:115)
Spotted: 24
Location 1: Stoughton, Wisconsin
Interests: aquariums

Post by tjudy »

The mops I will use will expend from the top to about 1/2 inch from the bottom, and be very thick and 'bushy'.
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

Spawning mops are a very good idea, I have been using them for thirty years. For C. hastatus I would suggest a couple of floating mops that came to about 30 mm from the bottom and another couple on the bottom. Although Java moss would be better proposition.

C. hastatus do indeed spend a lot of time swimming in mid water, especially if they have similar sized tetras for company, however when it comes to spawning this will be done at all levels of the tank and the eggs will also be placed everywhere including in the mops and Java moss if provided.

Ian
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

Post by corybreed »

I have used killie spawning mops with a number of species of corys. In some tanks I keep the killies with the corys. You should have no problem using the floating mops with hastatus.

Mark
Beersnob
Location 1: Royal Oak, Michigan
Interests: Drinking Beer, Brewing Beer, Drinking Mead, Mazing Mead, hiking, Backpacking, fishing, camping, and of cource Catfish!

Post by Beersnob »

Does the mop method work for all cories then? Does it "encourage" them?

Sorry if I'm asking alot of questions. It made sense to me about the Hastatus (Mine are in the middle level in a tank by themselves), but Corybreed's and Coryman's posts have me wondering about if it would be better with Cory Billeanatus which are not easy to get in "the breeding mood"

Thanks,

Scott
Beersnob

Sooo many Beers, So little time!

How many Catfish are in your Tank?
madattiver
My cats species list: 35 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:114)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Saskatoon, Sk, Canada

Post by madattiver »

i use floating spawning mops with all my corys and they put 95% of eggs in these mops. currently i have eggs from similis, axelrodi and metae and all eggs were placed in floating mops. to me they seem to like to hide the eggs in the mops and it deters them from eating the eggs when they are out in the open.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”