C gomezi in uk, rare or not?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
eupterus
Location 1: Essex uk
Interests: Livebearers, corys and L numbers

C gomezi in uk, rare or not?

Post by eupterus »

I am still rather new to Corie collecting and I was at a store today and found some Cories that at the time I didnt recognise, I knew enough to know that they were being displayed wrongly as leopardus. I hit the book and this site and they are definately gomezi. My question is whould I rush back and get them? They were £30 for the remaining 6 which is how I would get them, I couldnt get them today as i wasnt returning home for far to long. I have never seen them before any info would be great
Eupterus.

C. hastatus - habrosus - pygmaeus - aeneus - duplicareus - axelrodi - panda - trilineatus - napoensis - delphax - melini - paleatus - barbatus - concolor - robinae -seussi - reynoldsi - septentrionalis - arcuatus - C57 "nordestini" - guapore - aeneus "black" - C131
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

They are a very nice fish and 6 for thirty quid is a bit of a bargain if you ask me, I would be back there waving the notes first thing in the morning.

Ian
eupterus

Post by eupterus »

Thanks Ian, I will be doing just that. They stood out as something special, the shop was adament that they are leopardus and who am I to argue especially, it seems at that price. The shop worker is always right. A moto I love when it results in buying fish at greatly reduced prices.
Eupterus.

C. hastatus - habrosus - pygmaeus - aeneus - duplicareus - axelrodi - panda - trilineatus - napoensis - delphax - melini - paleatus - barbatus - concolor - robinae -seussi - reynoldsi - septentrionalis - arcuatus - C57 "nordestini" - guapore - aeneus "black" - C131
housewren
Location 1: Berrien Springs, MI
Interests: Cory Cats and Guppy Genetics

Post by housewren »

How did you determine they weren't leopardus? When I look at the pictures on this site and in Ian's book, some of them are marked the same to me--like the first thumbnail of both species her on PC.

Cheri
Cheri
eupterus

Post by eupterus »

They just didnt look right to me as far as leopardus were concerned. the spots were slightly further apart and very few of them were joined giving a retucilated pattern which is common on leopardus especially aroung the head. The line also looked different. It was just a hunch. I have paid for the fish and collect them on as soon as i can get to the shop. Then I will post a photo on here for verification. I maybe wrong but wither way they are lovely looking little cories
Eupterus.

Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

Any chance of a picture?

Ian
eupterus

Post by eupterus »

I hope to pick them up tomorrow then I will get photos on here. I hope they are gomezi but if they turn out to be leopardus i will be happy because they are lovely specimens.
Eupterus.

eupterus

Post by eupterus »

I am not a happy man, I travelle the 100 mile round trip to pick up the gomezi/leopardus only to find that the group of 6 had gone down to one. I was gutted, the shop told me that they had been dying over the last three days of "strawberry disease" - new one on me ??? In one way I am glad I didnt lose them at home but I am also gutted that they were such nice fish, I took Ians book with me and I am convinced they were gomezi, unfortnately this one was not to be. Sorry for wasting time on here. I will keep looking.
Eupterus.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”