Are these eggs or a growth?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Porcelina
Location 1: Tampa, FL

Are these eggs or a growth?

Post by Porcelina »

About 7 days ago, I noticed about ten rice shaped "eggs/growths" on my 10 gallon's glass and fake plants. The only fish I have in this tank are 6 male guppies, 3 otos, and 1 male Tiger Barb. Obviously the guppies and barb couldn't have formed these growths, so is it possible that my Otos have spawned? If not, does anyone know what these growths are? (I've recently found more, and the old ones seem to be growing & getting whiter- the biggest one is about 2 millimeters.)
bedwetter
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Missoula
Location 2: Montana

Post by bedwetter »

i'm not too sure what they would be, but if they were eggs, you should be able to see the developing embryos inside after 7 days. Also, most fish eggs I have seen are spherical rather than elongate like you describe.

I guess the ultimate test will be whether they hatch into something!

Jeff
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Sounds like planilaria worms to me, around 2mm long white worms...

Otos lay eggs on plants, but as Jeff says, they are round and around 1-2mm in diameter, and will form embryos fairly quickly.

--
Mats
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

Is it possible you have nerite snails in the tank? They'll lay eggs that look like you're describing and they are rarely fertile due to them being a brackish/saltwater snail that can adapt to fw, but not reproduce there. Shooting in the dark here, I realize ;).

Barbie

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”